Wooden flooring....a big no no?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
G.H

Post by G.H »

I don't even dare look at amtico!
Think we'd just go for the same oak one throughout so it flows well and it's cheaper having it fitted without any borders (and quicker). Really hoping for a quick turn around but needs painting throughout, built in window seat made, cushions etc for it, window coverings, shower and screen and furnishing! That can all be done in a couple of weeks.. Right? :D
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

+1 to Karndean

Be careful of some of their new designs / styles... a friend of a friend etc knows one of their suppliers and QC has taken a bit of a dip recently as some of their manufacturing has been moved to China

But that aside we've just put it in and a re happy with it (aside the fitter who was a bit of a bandit).

I'd suggest depending on the area to be covered getting pricing from 2 fitters and see if they're happy to fit stock you supply from an online retailer to minimise £/$/EUR
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have tiles in the kitchen and bathroom.

3 kitchen tiles developed cracks last year .... discovered a few spares and had them replaced early this year.

Another tile has been cracked in the last 2 weeks!
G.H

Post by G.H »

Robin @ One Spring wrote:+1 to Karndean

Be careful of some of their new designs / styles... a friend of a friend etc knows one of their suppliers and QC has taken a bit of a dip recently as some of their manufacturing has been moved to China

But that aside we've just put it in and a re happy with it (aside the fitter who was a bit of a bandit).

I'd suggest depending on the area to be covered getting pricing from 2 fitters and see if they're happy to fit stock you supply from an online retailer to minimise £/$/EUR
Somewhat amazingly theres 3 stockists in one seaside town so I'll check to see if they're different prices cos I know its has to be fitted by their fitters for the guarantee to be valid. Can I ask how long the fitted took? Does the scree take a while to dry before they can fit it? I want to go looking like I know what I'm talking about :D
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Fitting doesn't take long - just tiling and they are easy to cut to shape. My hallway was done in a morning.

The self levelling compound I think took a few days to dry (this was over 10 years ago now) but we a huge amount needed due to the uneven floor. At one end it was just a covering but at the other it was over 3" thick.
Robin S

Post by Robin S »

It was a couple of days all in.
russellt

Post by russellt »

+1 Amtico

>10 years down in our bathroom at home, looks like new.

Will do the same in the holiday let when the time comes for a change.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
G.H

Post by G.H »

Ahhhhhhhh!!!!! Got samples of Karndean and there's a couple I love. Had a quote for it laid and its soooooooooooo expensive. We'd ideally like to do the whole flat which is about 50sqm.
£ 459 ply and microcoat finishing compound
£125 adhesive
£1664 flooring
£650 fitting
£2898 total.

That's almost half our budget for EVERYTHING! (decorating, furnishing and kitting out). Its so frustrating cos its obviously a great longterm solution that'll look great but we're going to end up only doing part of the flat unless we can bring the cost down. Awaiting costs from another 2 suppliers so fingers crossed one will be lower.

Gina
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Have a look on ebay for Karndean and also Amtico (the fitting costs will be much the same and Amtico is to Karndean what Karndean is to everything else).
It's not unusual to find useful quantities for sale.
If you can find an experienced fitter, and they're mostly self employed anyway, you can save by paying him direct but more usefully he may have a source.
Esther Thirkelow

Post by Esther Thirkelow »

I'm tossing this debate around in my head at the moment...

We once bought some Amtico tiles from John Lewis during the sale, a customer return so they were super cheap, just a pile of tiles in the middle of the floor in the flooring section. We tiled a bathroom with them and then put the rest (about half of the pile) on ebay thinking just to get rid of them. We got more than we'd paid for the whole lot for the half that we sold...

My husband fitted them himself as it was in our own home, although I might choose to have someone fit them professionally for a let...

Best ebay sale ever for us...
smile it makes people wonder what you're up to