TA and OD - very confused

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Jenster

TA and OD - very confused

Post by Jenster »

I have just done an incognito search for my property on TA (subscription listing) to see where it ranked. Not bad, about halfway down.

However, I noticed a second listing for my property at the bottom of the search results, with a different 'estimated price'. Confused, I clicked on it and tried to book, and it re-directed me to Owners Direct! So I looked at a few other properties and found the same.

Anyone know anything about this? Are TA and OD in cahoots, or is TA trying to be a meta listing site?
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Yes, I do think that Expedia (i.e.OD,HA et al.) are working hand in glove with TripAdvisor to their mutual advantage, although they might want to appear to be in strict competition with each other, having in mind anti-trust laws in the United States.

Here is a pointer to that, written by someone complaining on TrustPilot. The substance of her complaint isn't really relevant:
I was somewhat bemused by this. So I phoned TripAdvisor again to find out if they could delete this pending payment.

It was then that I found out:
- that HomeAway take "advertising space" on the TripAdvisor site;
- that TripAdvisor can do bookings through them;
- But that no one at TripAdvisor has any control over the booking as it's with another company... HomeAway.
This complainer without a HA booking reference fell between two stools, as each company passed the buck to the other:
So...
- TripAdvisor have no control over the people who use their site for advertising.
- HomeAway have no control unless they have a booking reference.
- I had no available money in my account as it had been ring-fenced by Home Away.
She was less than happy with the pair of them and I don't blame her:
All this to say...

I shall never book Holiday letting accommodation through TripAdvisor!!!

I shall certainly NEVER book ANYTHING through HOME AWAY!!!!!
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Oh, this explains something that happened on one of this year's bookings. I'm commission on TA and top paying subscription on OD. This means that I can access the OD visitor details and offer them the option of booking with me directly, which they all do.

One customer who came via the OD dashboard insisted that she came through TA. Very confusing at the time, but I ignored it as she was paying me directly.

I thought she was just muddled, but perhaps not!
The best things in life are free
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

It's very odd, and basically means my property is on TA twice at different prices. Not sure if this makes it look like a fake listing? Worrying.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

So TA are advertising properties that are advertised by their owners on HA? :shock:

Bizarre.

Why?

Are these all commission listings and so they split commission?

Confusing.

Mousie (who feels like she's gone down the rabbit hole)
x
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

[quote="Giraffe"

One customer who came via the OD dashboard insisted that she came through TA. Very confusing at the time, but I ignored it as she was paying me directly.

I thought she was just muddled, but perhaps not![/quote]

I had something similar happen and I thought my guest was muddled. She very definitely said she found me on TA and thought she had enquired through there but when I checked I found she had enquired through VRBO. I am on both with subscription so neither are gaining with me as I book direct. Of course she could be just muddled but it struck me as odd at the time as she was so sure she was a TA customer.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

If subscription properties are on there I can't for the life of me understand what they stand to gain. Apart from perhaps sharing the market more......but that surely weakens TA's booking stats.for their owners.

Is this also an admittance from HA that they just aren't managing enough bookings through their own SEO/website

Mousie
x
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Mouse wrote:If subscription properties are on there I can't for the life of me understand what they stand to gain. Apart from perhaps sharing the market more......but that surely weakens TA's booking stats.for their owners.

Is this also an admittance from HA that they just aren't managing enough bookings through their own SEO/website

Mousie
x
I can't think what the real answer to that one is, Mousie. Perhaps TA get a kick back from HA/OD for anything TA sell on their behalf, BUT HA/OD's advertising payment to TA is reduced by a similar amount. Maybe there is some accounting/tax advantage in playing that game, although I don't see how it could work, but then I am no expert.

Otherwise I can only think that HA/OD must be getting desperate if they have to advertise through their rival's website! :shock:
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Hi,

I'm having issues with a TripAdvisor listing and have been hitting my head against a brick wall trying to get any guidance from them.
Does anyone have a number for TA that I can call? The only one on the site is a US freefone that won't work from Europe. (and even finding that took forever.) :evil:

thanks!
Lounging on the lily pad...
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

greenfrog wrote:I'm having issues with a TripAdvisor listing and have been hitting my head against a brick wall trying to get any guidance from them.
It seems that your issues relate to getting an answer, rather than making a complaint against TripAdvisor. But whichever it is, and whether you are dealing with TA itself or any other of their Massachusetts-based rental companies, I suggest that you, in desperation, approach them through the American 'Better Business Bureau'. ( https://www.bbb.org ).

It's free and involved filling out quite a simple form. I used them when I had an issue with Vacation Home Rentals and the effect of it was really galvanic - I ticked the box which allowed them to talk to the press!
Tournesol

TA and OD

Post by Tournesol »

This is the phone number I used when listing with TA (Holiday lettings):0044 (0)2037015369
I have to say I find their way of setting up the listing slightly odd (each room of our Chambres d'hote as a separate listing) and haven't had a single booking through them, despite being registered since last summer, so have taken our property off for now.
B.com has been our lifesaver, full for most of July/August, admittedly with mostly one nighters.
What you've never had you never miss!
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

Thanks all! I will try that number.
:)
greenfrog

Post by greenfrog »

The phone number worked and they were very helpful. Such a nice change!
Thanks!