Dishwasher vs Washing Machine

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sandra J

Dishwasher vs Washing Machine

Post by Sandra J »

Our open plan barn conversion has space in the kitchen for either a dishwasher or washing machine. For the last 8 years we have opted for a washing machine but given the amount of dirty dishes I find back in cupboards after guests I am seriously considering changing it for a dishwasher. Washing them by hand is very time consuming and if I were on holiday I would prefer a dishwasher.

At the same time I am amazed at the number of guests who bring dirty clothes with them and have washing on the line within a few hours of arrival.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

How many do you sleep? For large groups I would have thought a dishwasher would be preferable, but I'm guessing those with small children would prefer a washing machine maybe, so probably depends on your market. Personally I have a washing machine in my sleeps 4 and am happy to wash up when we're there but I recently went on hol with the in laws and did enjoy the dishwasher as there were more of us. Why not go with whichever makes your life easier and whichever you prefer?
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

How many do you sleep? For large groups I would have thought a dishwasher would be preferable, but I'm guessing those with small children would prefer a washing machine maybe, so probably depends on your market. Personally I have a washing machine in my sleeps 4 and am happy to wash up when we're there but I recently went on hol with the on laws and did enjoy the dishwasher as there were more of us. Why not go with whichever makes your life easier and whichever you prefer?
Zingara

Post by Zingara »

Washing machine, if you only have space for one...we have both (a 45cm dishwasher) in our studio, but I still end up re-washing plates in the cupboard!
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

I should have mentioned the cottage sleeps 2 and adults only so no washing for young children. The idea of the dishwasher was also to save us time at changeover by putting the dirty dishes in and whilst they are washing it frees up more time for cleaning.

Most of our guests are from the UK and its about 35% short breaks and 65% for 7 night stays. There is no tumble dryer but there is a clothes line in the garden.

Speaking to guests over the years quite a few booked properties for the first part of their holiday that had no washing machine and then one with a washing machine. Unless dried outside, lots of wet clothes being dried on radiators and the drying rack make the cottage damp.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

If I were on holiday with my OH I would want a dishwasher. We can usually manage without a washing machine, would rinse a few bits of underwear or find a laundrette if there was a laundry crisis.

We are seasoned motorcyclists so used to making the most of clothes and often rinse a few things out.

Whether people NEED to wash clothes depends on them and the weather, for example.

It has never ceased to amaze me that guests have washing on the line the day after they arrrive (did they bring dirty clothes from home) and do several loads the day before they leave - take all the dirty clothes home clean!
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Sandra J wrote:I should have mentioned the cottage sleeps 2 and adults only so no washing for young children. The idea of the dishwasher was also to save us time at changeover by putting the dirty dishes in and whilst they are washing it frees up more time for cleaning.

Most of our guests are from the UK and its about 35% short breaks and 65% for 7 night stays. There is no tumble dryer but there is a clothes line in the garden.
From that description, I would say dishwasher. It's a boon when you're having a quick break; adults staying a week or less shouldn't really need a washing machine; it'll speed up your changeovers and do you really want to finance guests' home-brought washing?

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

A vote here for a dishwasher. Two adults on hols for a week or less don’t really have to do any laundry, but they do have to wash dishes. As a guest, no dishwasher would be a deal-breaker for me.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

+1
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

Thank you all for your replies. Will replace washing machine with a dishwasher and can always swap over if I see a drop in bookings. When we started out in 2010 with Cottages4you I was told a washing machine was essential and a dishwasher a luxury.
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

I also would go for a dishwasher in preference to a washing machine if for no other reason than you can always take clothes to a lauderette if you really have to, but you can't do that with dishes (now maybe theres a niche in the market for that :D )
kg1

Post by kg1 »

Dishwasher for me too!

Could you put up or pm me your website - will be looking in your area for next year, thanks.
ianthy

Post by ianthy »

Sorry I may be too late but I vote washing machine. We travel as a couple in mainly self catering accom and I have never ever used the dishwasher. I have used the washing machine for the odd/short wash of a few items, if we are staying more than a few days.

A few questions - do you have a lot of crockery/plates in the property? this can sometime lead to guests to build up a stack. Then when they run out they 'attempt' to wash old dirty/greasy crockery. I find the easiest accom for 2 guests - has just 4 of each item.

Do you provide under the sink stuff - washing up liquid, brush, brillo pads etc., ?

Do you mention it in the book of the house or check in/out?
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

My dishwasher is on its second load following friends for dinner last night, and the washer is going as we've been here over two weeks. However, if I had to choose it would definitely be the dishwasher.
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

Is there an outbuilding or somewhere to put a washing machine? I'd go for a dishwasher indoors but have a washing machine in a shed or garage if it's at all possible.