Stains on carpet and guest denies all knowledge.

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
amandajane

Stains on carpet and guest denies all knowledge.

Post by amandajane »

Completely Sod's law!

We had new carpets fitted in the bedrooms less than a month ago. They were definitely overdue!
Yesterday I got an email from my caretaker saying that there are some unidentifiable stains that have so far resisted cleaning.

The photograph I have is a close up so I can't really make out the overall effect or the stain pattern but it is more of a widespread splash than a single "blob" and appears bluish.

As we were at the cottage ourselves the week before it can only have been last weeks guests. They deny all knowledge completely and blame the cleaner- which is very very, very unlikely, or the hairdryer. Mrs Guest apparently sat in front of the large mirror where the stains are to dry her hair so we are thinking hair product?

I suppose my question is twofold. Has anyone any experience of hair products or cosmetics causing a bluish stain? And how do I deal with the guest? I have £100 deposit from them and have emailed them to say that my carpet man is going to go in and take a look and if it can't be removed he will quote for replacement.

The carpet is apparently bleach cleanable which is an alien concept to me but might be worth a try!
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

We recently had guests staying where a large blue stain was left on the bedding. It soaked through the fitted sheet and both mattress protectors. I had to soak in vanish and then wash at 60 degrees and then repeat the vanish soak and wash. Hope you get your carpet cleaned.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I have just had this in a rental flat. Brand new carpets and the tenants caused burn marks. The inventory proved it so i was awarded what life of the carpet they had deprived me of. In this case 6 years of the 7 year life, as the carpet was 1 year old.

It is an established principle so if it had gone to the adjudicator he should have agreed.

Re your renters in denial, sadly if they take that stance and you cannot prove it it is a difficult one. Do you have any photos before and after? Otherwise it is your word against theirs. I once had a lawyer stay, caused some damage, denied it, said if you cannot prove it foxtrot oscar....nice chap!!

You could claim on your insurance.
JP

Post by JP »

You and your cleaners word that it wasn't there before the stay and photographic evidence that it was afterwards.
Unless you had photographs at the time of their arrival and again at departure you couldn't have better evidence and how many people inspect the property with the guest at both ends of the stay?
I would withhold the deposit and if they don't like it then it's up to them to try and reclaim it through the small claims court which I very much doubt they would do and if they did I doubt they would win.
amandajane

Post by amandajane »

Thanks everyone.

I shan't be returning the deposit until we have sorted it out. We will try the bleach cleaning method, and see how that goes.

JP I'm sure you're right.