Top sheets

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
kathiejs

Top sheets

Post by kathiejs »

The previous owner of our cottage obviously used a top sheet under the duvet. Personally I never do - I prefer the duvet to settle around me and not slide off, which I think tends to happen when you use a sheet. Is it normal to use a top sheet in holiday lets? I've ordered duvet protectors from Out of Eden so I don't think I need them for keeping the duvet clean - or do I? If you use a top sheet do you still change the duvet cover for every new guest? If so I'm struggling to see the point of the sheet.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi Kathiejs
I don't use a top sheet. I did buy them when I first started out but the agent I had at the time said that both the top sheet and the duvet cover would need to be washed so it was easier to do without the sheet!
I know others on the forum do use sheets, but it probably depends upon the style of your bedding and whether or not you will do your own changeover/ linen washing.
Personally, I would want to think I slept in a bed with a clean duvet cover even if there was a sheet.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Welcome to the forum, Kathiejs. I agree with you - a duvet without a top sheet is much snugglier. It just doesn't mould around you in the same way with a top sheet.

I get around this one by leaving an 'optional' top sheet in a drawer. It took me a while to understand the top sheet requirement from some North Americans and eventually I asked why. It turned out that the ones who had not travelled in Europe before were under the impression that the duvet cover was not washed between visitors. This is because in some American hotels and homes the duvet or comforter has a dry cleanable cover ( like our old eiderdowns). I am talking about over 10 years ago and I think this is less and less true now as they have mostly switched over to our washable cover arrangement. But I still point out the spare sheet and explain that everything is washed every time!

The top sheet option is rarely used now in conjunction with the duvet, but on occasion when the weather is very hot and my very cosy duvets are too hot, a sheet and single blanket is appreciated.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

We'd never conceived of using a top sheet under our duvets, but we did find that some visitors managed to wriggle themselves under the bottom sheet, which rather nonplussed us (and presumably was quite uncomfortable for them).
From observations these were usually older people, so we concluded that maybe they were confusing the duvets with eiderdowns.

Mols
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I always use a top sheet, and most of the time the duvet cover is empty, if not actually missing when the bed is occupied! Too hot for most of the year so no snuggle-ability required.
:lol:
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

FelicityA wrote: The top sheet option is rarely used now in conjunction with the duvet, but on occasion when the weather is very hot and my very cosy duvets are too hot, a sheet and single blanket is appreciated.
Good point - I was forgetting about the 3 nights a year that Devon is too hot even for a summer duvet!
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

Good point - I was forgetting about the 3 nights a year that Devon is too hot even for a summer duvet![/quote]

3 Nights ????

I must have been away for two of those! :lol:
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

PW in Polemi wrote:I always use a top sheet, and most of the time the duvet cover is empty, if not actually missing when the bed is occupied! Too hot for most of the year so no snuggle-ability required.
:lol:
+1
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!