Dishwasher vs Washing Machine

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

We supply washing up liquid, cloths, sponges, pot scourers, etc. There is no outbuilding for a washing machine. The cottage sleeps 2 and we provide enough plates, etc for 4 people. The last 2 or 3 years we have noticed people rarely eat out and the kitchen is used much more and I think a dishwasher would be more useful. Decision made and it's going to be a dishwasher.

Thank you all for thoughts.
SW31

Post by SW31 »

Ok, how about the following two options.

Dishwasher in kitchen and a washing machine in the bathroom - this happens a lot in France where the kitchens can be small.

Option two - washing machine in the kitchen and a table top dishwasher. We once had a small kitchen and the table top dishwasher was a godsend. I think Bosch and a couple of other brands make them. Perfect for a couple.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Is a washing machine allowed in a UK bathroom? I have one in my apartment in France, it has a 6.5kg load, but it top loading, and so only 40cm wide.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

If you have space for only one then I'd want a dishwasher. I hate washing up and I wouldn't want to on holiday.

My washing machine at the cottage is in what was the airing cupboard. The hot water tank was redundant with the combi boiler so it was removed and the space now houses a washing machine and laundry supplies
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Another vote for a dishwasher. We supply both (though the washing machine is in the basement next to the ski locker... so a bit out of sight)... the dishwasher is used daily and the washing machine only rarely, so my feeling is that a dishwasher adds more to the comfort of a holiday than a washing machine does.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Surprised by the answers voting for a dishwasher for just two adults. We had a table top one but it didn't get used much (6-7 years ago) maybe times have changed.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Probably because a tabletop one was too small. I'd still be having to wash up once it was filled. I can fill a full size one in a day for two of us. One load on after dinner and all clean for next morning.
Moliere

Post by Moliere »

Hells Bells wrote:I can fill a full size one in a day for two of us.
Bloody hell, is it 12 course dinners you two have then? For the two of us, I set the dishwasher going twice a week. Usually does 4 days, but I often set it after only 3 days because my favourite mugs are in it!

Mols :shock:
Jumping is just dressage with speed-bumps.
Janev1000

Post by Janev1000 »

I also have the washing machine in the laundry cupboard in the upstairs bathroom. Works really well - although not looking forward to when it needs to be replaced as I'm sure the stairs are going to prove quite a hassle!
COYS

Post by COYS »

Dishwasher every time.
I'd prefer visitors take their 'dirty' clothes home & not leave their dirty dishes behind.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

I think there are issues with putting a washing machine in a bathroom in the UK - electrical regs/zones/whether it's in a cupboard etc. We recently bought a washer for our home and when we were arranging delivery and installation they checked where it would be going and said they wouldn't install it in a bathroom or bedroom (not that we wanted them to!).
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

Definitely dishwasher if you only have room for one. Although it is still necessary to check and rewash where necessary it usually saves time at changeovers.

Washing machines, in our experience, if they are there the guests will use them. Often only putting a few bits of underwear in at a time, and doing this every day. Electrical costs here in Southern Italy are prohibitive.

Dishwashers are a convenience for both the guests and the owners .... washing machines only for the guests. Most of our guests are here for one or two weeks and don't need a washing machine. Sometimes we get tourers who are on a three month trip around Europe ... they definitely benefit from a washing machine but they are in the minority.
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
Sandra J

Post by Sandra J »

In the end we have decided to revamp the kitchen to include both a dishwasher and washing machine. This should appeal to a broader market and hopefully save us time washing dirty dishes,etc at changeover. The property is closed for installation of new windows and doors and we are taking this opportunity to do a few jobs.

Thank you all for your feedback.
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

kathiejs wrote:I think there are issues with putting a washing machine in a bathroom in the UK - electrical regs/zones/whether it's in a cupboard etc. We recently bought a washer for our home and when we were arranging delivery and installation they checked where it would be going and said they wouldn't install it in a bathroom or bedroom (not that we wanted them to!).
Not allowed in France any more either or so our electrician told us. We had our apartment rewired recently and the electrician wouldnt start until we found somewhere else for the washing machine.

Still ok if it was installed before the new regs came in though or is in a separate place away from the running water. We understand!

VT
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

French 'Consuel' rules change all the time. It used to be forbidden to have a light switch and electrical socket in a bathroom but now you have to have one and it has to be the requisite distance from water etc. which might not be possible in some situations.

Of course, none of the 'new' rules apply to older installations which get away with all sorts of horrors. OH is currently re-wiring a converted barn and dozens of things: lamps, radios, TVs, computers etc. are running on extension leads, multiple socket blocks trailing around the edge of the room and back to one or two sockets!