Plastic pool v traditional brick built

For anything to do with the garden and pool
Casscat

Post by Casscat »

teapot wrote:
Casscat wrote:Shaz I think your place is in Spain, yes? In Spain the norm is to have a constructed pool with tiling. Pre-formed fibreglass pools are available, but somewhat frowned upon. Plastic liner pools are common in France but almost unheard of in Spain.
No technical reasons? Just the local trades wishing to keep building?
Whatever type of below ground pool you build you still 'ave to dig an 'ole. It's personal I know, but I just find tiled pools way more aesthetically pleasing than plastic liners. I am not expert like you Teapot, so I don't know how the two compare in terms of maintenance and useful life, but I would have thought tiled would win over plastic in terms of durability.
shaz

Post by shaz »

Hi thanks for all the helpful replies. I think we already knew that we would go with a proper pool just wanted others thoughts on the plastic type. We are hoping to get some prices soon as it all comes down to budget and we have a lot to do. :D
teapot

Post by teapot »

Casscat wrote:
Whatever type of below ground pool you build you still 'ave to dig an 'ole. It's personal I know, but I just find tiled pools way more aesthetically pleasing than plastic liners. I am not expert like you Teapot, so I don't know how the two compare in terms of maintenance and useful life, but I would have thought tiled would win over plastic in terms of durability.
Ole's is the easy bit, I don't like the term expert, I still learn new things but difference is I am open to learning and new things. 😊
I wondered if the extra heat of Spain, Greece etc proved too much for liners? Fine at water level and below but above the water line do they age quicker, not being my geographical area and all.
Plenty of pools with tiles begin to loose tiles after a while so can be difficult and expensive to repair, the most modern adhesives and grouting are epoxy based and far better than the old. As I said before some of the new liners are way more attractive than bog standard blue with shimmering stone effects etc. All down as you say to personal taste. I am just happy working on pools 😀
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
teapot

Post by teapot »

shaz wrote:Hi thanks for all the helpful replies. I think we already knew that we would go with a proper pool just wanted others thoughts on the plastic type. We are hoping to get some prices soon as it all comes down to budget and we have a lot to do. :D
Shaz, they are all pretty much proper pools, that really is a beginners term. How well the water circulates and how well the surface clears the debris before it sinks is what distinguishes good from bad. How well thought out the pool plumbing design makes a much bigger difference to how easy and how low the running costs are and of course the clarity of the water.
Buying a decent pool chemical tester is also important especially with tiled pools, a slight error on the water chemical balance over a period of time has a big effect on how long the tiles can stay attached. If you are spending €000.00's on your pool and your builder gives you two little bottles of liquid or a tub of dip strips to test the water that proves they care more about their profit than your pool and they really don't understand pool water chemistry. Just be on your guard to fancy claims but enjoy your pool. ☺
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
COYS

Post by COYS »

Another vote for the aesthetics of a (well) tiled pool, most definitely in the warmer regions.
Excellent point that teapot makes regarding plant/plumbing set up as well. Essential to get that right for maintenance.
It's a big investment, potentially essential to a rental's success - 'buy cheap, buy twice'......
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Along with tiled pools, don't leave out the beautiful quarts/plastered pools, they to can be stunning.
shaz

Post by shaz »

How much roughly should I be paying for say a 8 x 4 in ground proper pool
teapot

Post by teapot »

Shaz, That's a really tricky question. A lot depends on the location and access to the site of the pool. Then there are finishes to the pool, terracing and additional equipment like automatic dosing or salt chlorination, heating etc, etc.

I'll open the the discussion by saying for a concrete pool between €30,000- €40,000

Hopefully others may join in and you'll get an idea.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

shaz wrote:How much roughly should I be paying for say a 8 x 4 in ground proper pool
In our case €40,000 per pool (11m x 4m). This was 10 years ago and included a pool room with filtering equipment and so on, plus a below-ground reservoir, but no heating.
COYS

Post by COYS »

AndrewH wrote:
shaz wrote:How much roughly should I be paying for say a 8 x 4 in ground proper pool
In our case €40,000 per pool (11m x 4m). This was 10 years ago and included a pool room with filtering equipment and so on, plus a below-ground reservoir, but no heating.
As above but 9x4 with a decent plant room, overflow channels & tank. Originally finished with epoxy pool paint at 30k. But recoating annually, although relatively easy & inexpensive has a limited lifespan so have since stripped & tiled it which was well worth the cost, time & effort.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.