Zip link beds!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sherry

Zip link beds!

Post by Sherry »

Hi, I want to replace a double bed with zip link beds, so the room can be either twin singles or a superking. However that leaves me with a couple of queries that I hope the great folk on this site can help me with.

Does anyone know if it's best to link beds using a zip, or by linking using Velcro? (Mattisons offers both alternatives.)

Secondly, given the two resulting single beds will be longer than a standard single bed, do single sheets and duvets still fit them? If not, what are the alternatives?
joddle

Post by joddle »

In my experience linked beds are always uncomfortable if someone is lying across the join - don't forget beds are not only used for sleeping :)
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
loveka

Post by loveka »

We have zip link beds from hotel contract beds. We have a topper on top, so you can't feel the join at all. They are very easy to zip together.

We use standard single sheets, but they are extra deep fitted ones. Out of Eden do longer length single sheets I think.
sparkJS

Post by sparkJS »

What happens to the topper if they are used as twin beds?
MG
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

Thank you for the helpful replies. I used to have a superking at home and that also had a topper on (which easily rolls up and goes in the cupboard if not needed) so can see that covering up the 'join' isn't an issue, especially given there will be both a superking waterproof mattress cover and a quilted mattress cover on top anyway if it's set up as a superking.

I am interested in the referral to hotel contract beds. They have amazing prices in their website but how good are the mattresses
- they have so many to choose from, but are the cheaper ones any good?
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Sherry wrote: I am interested in the referral to hotel contract beds. They have amazing prices in their website but how good are the mattresses
- they have so many to choose from, but are the cheaper ones any good?
It depends on what your target market will expect, but an uncomfortable bed is not going to get the all-important repeat guests.
Pocket sprung mattresses are generally seen as the safe choice for comfort for most guests. We bought some of the Pocket Dream 1000 beds and have had very good feedback.
whirlybird

Post by whirlybird »

We have Zip and link in one of our rooms. We have the zip type not velcro. It is easy to put together and very comfortable (according to guests also).
We use a topper when used as a king size and remove when singles.

It has given us more options for the rooms we have.

A win win for us
https://www.moorparks.co.uk/farm-stay-self-catering/
https://www.facebook.com/moorparks/
Moorparks Holiday Cottages Moorparks, EX19 8NA 07850 356627

I have CDO, it's like OCD but all the letters are in the correct order as they should be!
loveka

Post by loveka »

Ours are the mid price ones. Guests comment on how comfortable they are.

If you phone them they are very helpful.
TheLodge

Post by TheLodge »

We have the marquis 3000 from hotel contract beds . Our guests rave about how comfortable they are . We ordered mattress toppers from amazon which we vacumn pack if they're not in use .

Guys are really helpful , the only issue we've had is with their delivery team . Super unhelpful and unreliable , including leaving beds outside in the rain on a Sunday when delivery was supposed to be the Monday .
OdeDale

Post by OdeDale »

I use zip linked in my sleeps 20. Its a huge advantage.
Had many comments on how comfortable they are.
The zip is covered by a thick lip of fabric and once you have a mattress cover and sheet on, it's very comfortable.
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

My zip and link beds have arrived! Thank you for all the feedback above which has been very helpful in making decisions - no more memory foam mattresses for a start. I thought you might like an update, as I bought 2 sets, one for each large bedroom. They have spring interior 1000 pocket spring mattresses, as recommended above. They can be either 2 extra long 3 foot single, or zipped together to make a superking. They do seeem enormous after a standard double. The mattresses are so thick that my sheets struggle to cover them, but I do have a mattress pad with a mattress cover on top of that on them so that does increase the thickness. I found the standard single Dunelm waterproof mattress covers go on them well (they are soft, like a brushed cotton), and over that go the quilted mattress topper from Dunelm. Both the single (if in singles mode) and the Superking mattress covers fit well as they are generously sized. The problem is that because the cover extends over all the sides they then can’t be zipped linked as the zips are covered, so have now bought single mattress pads from Liddell ( from Vision services) which because it’s held on with an elastic corner does fit regardless of the mattress being zipped together or not. On top of that in Superking mode is one of their (very well priced) mattress toppers, which covers the join, and on top of that goes a Dunelm quilted superking cover ( if zipped together, or a single one if not) to hold it all together. It’s very comfy ( better than mine at home tbh). I’m very pleased with them.

On a slightly different tack I’ve now found the £9.99 single 10.5 tog microfibres duvets from M&S which are lovely and great value. They are slimmer than a lot of duvets so think will go in my washing machine, and of course don’t take as much storage space. I bought some for the holiday home then ended up bringing a couple home as they are so lovely. Just been out and bought another one, and also the Superking version which was £22. They also come in 4.5 tog too. Still can’t believe how much extra bedding having zip links has generated though.
loveka

Post by loveka »

I have just discovered the zip and link duvet from Out of Eden. This makes things SO much easier.

It is a lot of bedding though...
Lellyb

Post by Lellyb »

Hi, it may be too late for you and its not very neat, but we use 2 single duvets on the zip and links, apparently this is common practice in Scandinavian countries. It keeps the cost down, less storage and easier to change, no one has ever complained. We use the big duvet covers for the photos only.
Sherry

Post by Sherry »

I offer that option too Lelly. Thought it would be popular but in reality folk have preferred the Superking duvet option.