Avoiding the big boys

For topics that are specific to the USA, please go here.
annedab

Avoiding the big boys

Post by annedab »

We are thinking about a big family trip to California next year and have found several places that are of interest but I am not having much luck finding them advertised outside of the "usual suspects". Have tried keywords and image searches but to no avail.

Can any of the US Hatters point me in the direction of sites where you can have direct contact with the owners (without going through a third party who will take a big chunk of commission from both parties) - You know, a bit like Owners Direct used to be :roll:
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
Igor

Post by Igor »

We all hit this problem sometimes when we try to book our own stays. In the past, I've tried hinting in the enquiry (giving my phone number as "plus four four..." or hinting at my email address but you can take a horse to water...

If you're doing an enquiry on a HomeAway site, one thing you could try is to make the enquiry with the StaySavr extension loaded. Then you get some text added to your enquiry that asks the owner to join StaySavr. Now, you'll immediately think that won't work because homeaway will filter out any mention of StaySavr. The way it is written makes it hard for any automated filters to spot. Eventually they may crack it, but for now, I think it still works. If the owner signs up to StaySavr, then you get the phone number and email address displayed on the HomeAway page (thanks to the browser extension).
Igor lives in Fort StaySavr, a secret location high in the mountains
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Yes it does still work, download the extension Anne and you could save yourself a fortune. :)
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

annedab

Post by annedab »

Thanks everyone! As we no longer rent out ourselves, I had forgotten about the Staysavr thing.

I think I am a pretty savvy searcher but having scanned lots of listings on the big sites I'm just not seeing anything which might give me a trail to a personal website and I don't want to start any questions which might end up with the owners being penalised or having their rankings affected (which seems to be the way things are going these days).
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?