Airbnb cancellation repercussions

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Joffan

Airbnb cancellation repercussions

Post by Joffan »

I may be forced to cancel a booking through Airbnb. I have looked at the penalties and it isn't too daunting. However, it doesn't mention that I will be dropped to the bottom of any searches in future. I feel sure that I have heard this before?

Has anyone ever cancelled a booking that they got through Airbnb and if so did it have any effect on bookings?

I host several houses and was wondering if it would affect them too?

Julie
JP

Post by JP »

Hi
I understand you have to pay a penalty fee dependent on how close the booking is, you get an automated review saying you cancelled a booking and you cannot re book those dates.
James
matesalka

Post by matesalka »

I had to cancel a booking last year. It did not seem to effect the position in the listing and I still got bookings. It does show up in the reviews so it could put some people off booking but it didn’t seem to have too much effect.

As this was my first cancellation I wasn’t charged a penalty but I think if you cancel more then one booking within a certain timeframe they do charge a fee

The only negative was that I wanted to get Superhost status and it effected my Superhodt status for 12 months
Terry123

Post by Terry123 »

I can't say surely about their algorithm on handling these but try your best to not cancel the bookings.

You can contact guests and offer some alternate dates with discounts offer on booking or whatever it takes!

if you really really have to cancel, don't cancel through online forms/process as documented by them. I always recommend calling AIRBNB so if you have story or will be hoping for a one-time exception you have a great great chance to get it considered immediately