Sebastian Cortes

Post scam emails to warn other rental owners, or if you are not sure if an enquiry is genuine, put it up here and see what others think.
AngloDutch

Sebastian Cortes

Post by AngloDutch »

Received this last night. The Dutch looks to be Google translated. If they had just written in English and left out the salutation + the 'urgent response' :lol: then we might have even replied....

Good day to you

My name is Sebastian Cortes, I am writing to find out if you have any accommodation available for one week from the 22nd April to the 29th April 2017 for me and my wife.
Please kindly send me the details of the cost and your availability for that period or if you have anything close to that period as my schedule is a bit flexible and I can change dates.
I await your urgent response

Thanks
Sebastian

Goede dag voor u

Mijn naam is Sebastian Cortes, Ik schrijf om uit te vinden als u een aanbieding voor een week vanaf 22 april tot 29 april 2017 voor mij en mijn vrouw.
Neem dan zo vriendelijk stuur mij de details van de kosten en de beschikbaarheid van die periode, of als je iets in de buurt van die periode als mijn schema is een beetje flexibel en ik kan data te wijzigen.
Ik wacht op uw dringende reactie

Bedankt
Sebastian
Last edited by AngloDutch on Thu Jan 26, 2017 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Your scamometer is clearly more refined than mine. What makes you believe that this is a scam, and therefore does not merit a response?

Is it the use of the phrase 'Good day to you'? Or that they translated it using Google? Or the request for 'urgent' response(which I admit is a bit odd)?

What do you see as the risk in responding to this type of enquiry?

Am genuinely intrigued. (Are we becoming hyper-cautious, even on initial enquiries? I had 2 enquiries yesterday which I rejected - but it was after I had received additional info from them).
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
AngloDutch

Post by AngloDutch »

russellt wrote:Your scamometer is clearly more refined than mine. What makes you believe that this is a scam, and therefore does not merit a response?

Is it the use of the phrase 'Good day to you'? Or that they translated it using Google? Or the request for 'urgent' response(which I admit is a bit odd)?

What do you see as the risk in responding to this type of enquiry?

Am genuinely intrigued. (Are we becoming hyper-cautious, even on initial enquiries? I had 2 enquiries yesterday which I rejected - but it was after I had received additional info from them).
They are getting better with their script, but 'Good day to you' is a typical opening phrase from a scam mail.

The Dutch text has been automatically translated (it is full of grammatical errors), although that it not a sign of a scam of course!

I suppose, 'Sebastian Cortes' could be an American ('Good Day to you') but it is still an enquiry for 2 people for a farmhouse that can sleep 12, which we have had once only in the last 12 years.

Actually, I finally made my decision based on the incoming email address. This is attached to our own Dutch-language website but enquirers always use the fill-in enquiry form on the page, which then generates an incoming enquiry email via our hosting provider, Promote My Place.

Since we have had the PMP website, every enquiry has gone via this form. We do show the email address separately on the page, but are thinking of removing it. We want to be open with our contact information but believe this is just being harvested for Spam/Scam/Phishing operations.

The risk if you reply is showing the people at the other end that your email address is active and available for similar contacts.

I am sure that any reply from 'Sebastian' would be that they want to pay by cheque for an amount of $5,000, with the request to transfer $1,200 to 'Avis' for their rental car, and another transfer amount of $2,300 to a 'travel agent' to pay for their flights over. :wink:
russellt

Post by russellt »

AngloDutch wrote:2 people for a farmhouse that can sleep 12,
AngloDutch wrote: made my decision based on the incoming email address.
Aaaah! OK. So, party profile doesn't add-up and the email address looks iffy. Your reticence now appears warranted.

thx for explaining.
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Annew

Post by Annew »

Just bumping this as Sebastian Cortes is back again (takes a lot of holidays with his wife as this is the 3rd time this year he has contacted me. Text is exactly the same as the last 2, just slightly different dates:

Hello,

I am writing to inquire about availability in your accommodation for me and my wife from the 17th to the 24th November, 2017, or any week around that time as we are a bit flexible on our dates.

Please send the details and price for the period.

Many Thanks
Seb

This time the email address is a new one : sebastian cortes 1706 @gmail.com - well dodgy!
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
carolmac

Post by carolmac »

Had exactly the same this morning only this time he wants to go to Scotland!

Hello,

I am writing to inquire about availability in your accommodation for me and my wife from the 17th to the 24th November, 2017, or any week around that time as we are a bit flexible on our dates.

Please send the details and price for the period.

Many Thanks
Seb.
always look on the bright side of life
jafa

Post by jafa »

I tend to find that when anybody uses the term, I'm flexible its a scam.
Jafa
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Damnit! Just wasted time replying to 'Seb' who wants to stay in Chester in November too. I had my suspicions, but I thought it might be genuine - just wishful thinking then.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
EcoGirl

Post by EcoGirl »

I had the same too today! In the Cotswolds
still learning
JAller

Post by JAller »

Same again. Scottish Borders.
ManxRed1

Post by ManxRed1 »

Feeling left out. :(

Come on Seb, what's wrong with Cornwall?
Andy & Lana

Post by Andy & Lana »

ManxRed1 wrote:Feeling left out. :(

Come on Seb, what's wrong with Cornwall?
Nothing, apparently - we received his email enquiry, which had us fooled to start with, but then we're new to all this.....

....Our suspicions were instantly raised when his response to our reply with room rates had stuff about a company paying for his holiday, cashing a cheque and transferring balances, etc......

....Quick bit of Googling led us to this forum!
Took the plunge, bought a guest house!
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Welcome Andy and Lana, hope you find lots more useful stuff here, we're a very helpful bunch :D
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Andy & Lana

Post by Andy & Lana »

Joanna wrote:Welcome Andy and Lana, hope you find lots more useful stuff here, we're a very helpful bunch :D
Thank you....
Took the plunge, bought a guest house!