Washing machine - using ours?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
kathiejs

Washing machine - using ours?

Post by kathiejs »

We have a small washing machine in our cottage boiler room which I think was previously just used for dog blankets as it was full of hair (the previous owner allowed dogs). I think it's on it's last legs anyway as it doesn't always start. I was considering not replacing it but offering to let guests do a load in my machine if they wanted to - our back door/utility room is only about 10ft from the cottage door. The cottage only sleeps 2 adults so I'm guessing most people wouldn't bother.

Does anybody have any experience of this? Do you charge, and if so how much?
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Edited to add - sorry, I misunderstood your post
:oops: :oops: :oops:
I thought you were saying you would let the guests use the old machine. Apologies.
Last edited by zebedee on Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

I was planning on not advertising that there is one, and telling guests about its past so they could decide for themselves - if I haven't removed it already by that time. But it doesn't have hair in it now anyway. I was using it myself while waiting for our new one and it's all gone now.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

In our very earliest days of renting (more than 20 years ago) we couldn't provide a washing machine in the gite.

If there was a family with young children I 'offered' them the occasional use of my machine. I didn't make a charge and guests rarely took me up on the offer.

When we had a second, sleeps 2, gite a young couple with a newborn (!) stayed in there and when they got home they complained to the rental website that there was no washing machine. I had to point out we didn't advertise there was one but that I had offered her the opportunity to use mine - to be helpful.

Now we have a 'laundry room' with two machines, use of a freezer, baskets, pegs, airers, garden games, pool toys etc. which everyone (3 gites) shares. It seems to work well and seeing how much the machines are used I'm glad they are not using mine!
OdeDale

Post by OdeDale »

Either remove the dog hair one completely, or swap it with yours and you deal with it until you get a new one.

If you do just offer them your machine on your side, do not attempt to charge them, you're just opening yourself up to bad reviews.