should I install a landline where no mobile phone reception?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Henny

should I install a landline where no mobile phone reception?

Post by Henny »

Greetings LMHs and thanks a million for the advice on this site! We are renovating a 2 bed sleep 4 cottage in a Forest of Dean village with no mobile phone reception. We do not live on site. There will be internet in cottage. Would you install a landline 'in case of emergency' ... and if so is there anyway of limiting phone bills? Also wondering if incoming annoying cold calls could be a problem?
Many thanks, Henny
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Yes, essential in case of emergencies.

If you've got Internet presumably there's already a landline so it's just a case of plugging in a phone?

We looked into it a few years ago and at that time our provider had various options such as blocking all overseas outbound calls, premium numbers or making it emergency services only. Each option cost something and in the end we just left a note next to the phone telling guests that they're welcome to use the phone for local calls and emergencies. International and premium numbers are blocked (or something to that effect). Then we waited to see if anyone actually used the phone. Hardly anyone did so we've never bothered with any of the blocks. Having said that, mobile reception has improved over the years and now most mobiles do work there.

I would just install it and keep a close eye on your itemised bills to see how much it's used.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Also, we left the phone unplugged and let guests know to plug it in if they needed it so that they wouldn't be disturbed by cold calls.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

We don't have reception either and do exactly as Joanna suggested. We haven't had any problems although I do keep a sharp eye on the bills just in case. If we did start having issues I would probably put in a payphone...you can get these on amazon although they do cost a bit.
Sammy

Post by Sammy »

Same here - installed a phone for "incoming and emergency calls only".

It has been used a couple of times in emergencies - guests have really appreciated it.
vacancesthezan

Re: should I install a landline where no mobile phone recept

Post by vacancesthezan »

Henny wrote:Greetings LMHs and thanks a million for the advice on this site! We are renovating a 2 bed sleep 4 cottage in a Forest of Dean village with no mobile phone reception. We do not live on site. There will be internet in cottage. Would you install a landline 'in case of emergency' ... and if so is there anyway of limiting phone bills? Also wondering if incoming annoying cold calls could be a problem?
Many thanks, Henny
In France you can get a "thingy" (sorry not that up with new technology) which you attach to your internet connection. It is designed for areas with poor mobile connection (many still in rural France). It allows the mobile signal to be routed via the internet.

Win win as people would still have their own mobile phone for incoming calls and you wouldnt have to worry about over use.

VT
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Our mobile reception is poor. I'm the same as Sammy - BT landline has a function to switch off outgoing calls except for 999. Small charge per quarter. When I stay I just put in a PIN number to allow outgoing calls.

We have unlimited internet, so calls can be routed through it. If the internet goes down when visitors are there, (only twice in 10 years) I switch on the landline outgoing function for the visitors. Overall very easy to organise.

The other reason I have a landline is for Health and Safety reasons. If necessary, visitors are able to dial 999 from 4 extensions throughout the house (it's quite big).
The best things in life are free
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We have a landline as our mobile reception can be awkward sometimes. I feel happier knowing our guests have an emergency line. We state that it is for incoming & emergency outgoing calls only, although in practice a few local calls doesn't bother us. We keep an eye on the activity & guests are told that any 'overuse' will br deducted from the security deposit. Only done that once when a German guest kept calling home, didn't tell us & didn't offer to pay.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

You can have wifi calling on many smart phone these days.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

I think the bottom line is - do you have adequate procedures in place for visitors to easily dial 999 in case of emergency, particularly for fire and accident. The risk of house fire occuring is usually rated low but the outcomes can be horrendous. I would not want anyone injured, nor have my house damaged, for lack of a landline where mobiles do not have proper reception.
The best things in life are free
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Giraffe wrote:I think the bottom line is - do you have adequate procedures in place for visitors to easily dial 999 in case of emergency, particularly for fire and accident. The risk of house fire occuring is usually rated low but the outcomes can be horrendous. I would not want anyone injured, nor have my house damaged, for lack of a landline where mobiles do not have proper reception.
+1
Woz

Post by Woz »

Hi Henny

We have the same problem in our cottage in the Cotswolds. We wanted a landline phone for guests to use in emergencies, and for ourselves to use when we occasionally make use of the cottage. We rent our place a lot to overseas guests who often want to call back home. We therefore found a great solution in the BT Contour 100 Payphone. This is a small domestic payphone and you can set the rates yourself to make sure you cover costs of different types of calls (including International etc). It is easy to set up and operate and has been used a lot by our guests, who really appreciate the service. One told me recently that she was pleased to see the payphone, knowing that she didn't need to feel guilty using it and running up our phone bill.

We set our rates to cover the costs but not to make a profit from the calls and make this clear to guests.

The BT Contour range is no longer in production, but lots are available online (and via eBay etc) - even adapted for the new £1 coin etc.

All the best

Warren