Shepherds Huts

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
peter_964rs

Shepherds Huts

Post by peter_964rs »

I wonder if anyone here has any experiences or information about Shepherds Huts for glamping? We already have a holiday let on our grounds, being an attached annexe to the main house, which is going very well but were thinking of landscaping part of a steep orchard we have next to our house that has excellent views over Devon and installing three Shepherds Huts in there.

Any recommendations for:

Manufacturers to recommend or avoid
The sort of price we should be paying
Classic gotchas we may not have thought of
Alternatives or similar products that we should consider
Anything else really!

I'm grateful for any advice here. I'm a bit worried that they're slightly passé and lack longevity in terms of marketing appeal, sort of like yurts and safari tents that can be found throughout the UK now, but at the luxury end and with some USP (being the view) perhaps not?

Our current let is at www.facebook.com/littlesilvernugget BTW.
Newbie and tired
Martha

Post by Martha »

I've seen a few of these around though never stayed in one. I think they look great. A really nice alternative for those who want a bit more comfort than camping, whilst being a bit more natural and traditional in feel than a caravan, and more adventurous than a holiday chalet in a park. So...no experience but I like the look of them a lot.

I like yurts and safari tents, tipis etc and have stayed happily in some of these outside the UK. In the UK I alway suspect they could feel a bit damp, and this seems like a much better option. They don't seem passé to me at all! Pretty new idea to me in fact. And much more in keeping for the UK, being a UK tradition. You could go all out and get a few sheep too! Very tranquil. A friend has a small flock that she's acquired as orphan lambs from farmers and she's very happy... low maintenance, keep your grass short for you :)

How many do they sleep? Would you go for couples or more for families? I guess kids could also camp beside them for a big family.

This guy is a friend of a friend - I'm aware this is a pretty tenuous recommendation! But he's got quite a lot of info on his FB page about what he's doing which might be useful, seems to make a lot of effort with his huts which are very beautiful, and he's not all that far from you. I can't seem to get the pic to post but scroll down for pics of him in his hut. Looks great.
https://www.facebook.com/PaulIvanDavies/

Your place looks lovely btw!
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
CSE

Post by CSE »

Classic gotchas we may not have thought of
You have not written about planning, drainage, water supply, Electricity, fire prevention, internet, access roads. Heating, to allow all year round usage.
Alternatives or similar products that we should consider
To house larger groups maybe an old coach or railway carriage. Ex-public service bus is not going to cut the cake.
Converted horsebox lorry may also be a good alternative.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

casasantoestevo wrote:You have not written about planning, drainage, water supply, Electricity, fire prevention, internet, access roads. Heating, to allow all year round usage.
All good points - quite a lot to think about. But I would say go for it, because the location sounds great.
peter_964rs

Post by peter_964rs »

Thanks all for your comments. We prefer the idea of small, extremely luxurious, sleep-2 glamping huts so a railway carriage is something we've thought of and decided not to do.

We have in fact thought of planning, drainage, water supply, electricity, fire prevention, internet, access roads, heating and also now I'm wrapping my head around business rates and golf buggies - because our guests will have to park at the top of the hill and then transfer into one to get down the track into the orchard. Yes! Funky and a USP but perhaps insane; I'm not yet sure.

If I can get electricity into the orchard then my life is easier and we can fit electric water heaters and underfloor heating into each; otherwise I suspect propane is the only way to go. Ditto for an Ethernet cable down there with wireless router on the end.We're also probably going to have a micro sewage treatment plant (which will need 'leccy) and hot tub for at least one if not all huts. Much head-scratching to follow....
Newbie and tired
CSE

Post by CSE »

You will need power for routers and for charging the carts, too.
Internet connections using long cables could mean loss of velocity Cables will need to be of a certain type. More connections you have could also reduce speeds. I would also suggest that if you are aiming high then facilities to charge phones and internet connections will be high on a list of wants. Maybe a decent TV too.

RE planning permission if this is classified as farm land then as I understand it from family in North Devon you may hit a brick wall or a slow process to gain permission.
A new sewage treatment plant will need permissions from several bodies.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
COYS

Post by COYS »

casasantoestevo wrote:A new sewage treatment plant will need permissions from several bodies.
But green sceptic tanks are being positively encouraged in eco-build at the moment. So long as you’re not right next to a river/stream (different rules) it should make for a simple & cost effective solution.
Sounds like an exciting prospect to me & I like the alternative thinking behind it. Too much ‘beige’ in the world already!
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I get the feeling that you’re pretty much on top of the various requirements - have you looked at the Vortex sewage treatment plants? We might have to update the ancient septic tank that serves our house (not sure yet) and they do seem a good alternative to the Klargester type plants with the constantly rotating discs that are prone to breakdown. I’d be interested to know what suggestions you get if you’ve investigated that far yet.

One question mark with private sewage treatment plants is whether you can empty a hot tub into one, because of the chlorine content which could stop the plant working properly - there doesn’t seem to be a definitive answer, but as a hot tub in commercial use must be emptied, sanitised and refilled at every changeover it’s potentially a big issue.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I thought about a hot tub and on researching costs inc costs of maintenance and so on and on etc I decided that it was positively a serious NO NO.

Too costly, too demanding etc and more.

Not worth the effort and legalities, for the small additional income in my opinion.