Flagstone floors

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sapper

Flagstone floors

Post by Sapper »

Hi , we have a cottage and recently lifted some of the carpet to find a flagstone floor underneath, we are trying to decide if it would be worth having them restored and so having a stone floor. Lifting the floor and putting down a membrane and underfloor heating is not an option , we realise they will be cool to the to touch but we will put rugs down where people sit and their feet are resting on the floor for a period of time ie in front of sofas. I was wondering if anyone has done anything similar and can give us any pros and cons of having a york stone floor .Many thanks
CSE

Post by CSE »

We have tiled floors throughout. It is not so cold as one might think. The stones can only add charm to your property. Advantage is they will be easy to clean. Disadvantage is maybe you will suffer a few more breakages of crockery/glasses as the floor is less forgiving.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Are the flagstones laid directly on the ground (i.e no cellar/room below) and you know if there is any insulation under the flagstones? If there isn't, I wouldn't have flagstones in a colder climate, however charming they look. We have an annex with tiles on a concrete floor, laid directly on the ground with no insulation: it's so cold in winter that you can't walk across it without shoes on and it's only comfortable sitting on the sofa if your feet are up on it due to the draft round your ankles, despite the room having good central heating. Despite having virtually brand new tiles, we'll be covering them soon with insulation and a second floor covering.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Ideally they should have a minimum of 100mm kingspan under them or a similar branded product.

I would keep them as they are or look into having them lifted dig out underneath add insulation, add a concrete base min 50mm, 100mm would be better then put the flagstones back down as near as possible to existing level. You'll have to do a few sums to achieve this.

I don't much rate under floor heating myself but were all different. If I bought a house with it already installed I would switch it permanently off. That's me though.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Jabfloor is better under (min 100mm) concrete but both are a waste of time without an effective membrane & if your flags are original they will be a bit thick for most domestic u/floor heating to run cost effectively anyway.
However, if the carpets you lifted were free of damp/mould the floor could well be 'dry' enough to renovate as it is. One thing for certain though it will be chilly underfoot unless you're in warmer climes.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
teapot

Post by teapot »

COYS wrote:Jabfloor is better under (min 100mm) concrete but both are a waste of time without an effective membrane & if your flags are original they will be a bit thick for most domestic u/floor heating to run cost effectively anyway.
However, if the carpets you lifted were free of damp/mould the floor could well be 'dry' enough to renovate as it is. One thing for certain though it will be chilly underfoot unless you're in warmer climes.
+1
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Sapper

Post by Sapper »

Thanks for the replies .lifting them and putting a concrete floor in is not an option really , we realise they will be cool underfoot but have decided to have them renovated as they are dry and will buy cosy rugs for areas where people sit
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

Sapper just out of interest I’d love to know what product you can use to clean them up. We have them in our own home and I’ve heard that many products are too harshband can erode flagstones. Our have many different colours, markings, stains on and I’d really like to clean them up myself. Thanks
So much to learn....so little time!
COYS

Post by COYS »

Orsonthecat wrote:Sapper just out of interest I’d love to know what product you can use to clean them up. We have them in our own home and I’ve heard that many products are too harshband can erode flagstones. Our have many different colours, markings, stains on and I’d really like to clean them up myself. Thanks
Try an organic limestone cleaner first - no acid content. HG produce a wide range of quality tested products that should do the job without eroding your surfaces.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Sapper

Post by Sapper »

Orsonthecat , we are having someone in to do them but I will let you know what he uses , I did have the website of the product he uses but can't remember it , it is a product used on some really big heritage projects so hopefully it will do it , we too have many stains on our floor but he has taken advice from the product suppliers who have given him advice on which product to use
teapot

Post by teapot »

Flagstone is a generic term, what can be used on one may not be suitable for another. HG products are usually simple products cleverly packaged and marketed. Take their mold cleaner, basic chlorine bleach but sold at 13 times the price.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Orsonthecat

Post by Orsonthecat »

Thanks Sapper.
True enough Teapot... I think ours are limestone based. About 250 years old so have seen some things over those years I’m sure!
So much to learn....so little time!
teapot

Post by teapot »

I have indian sandstone ones to clean up so I understand.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Bleach

Works a treat, do it yourself.

Apply bleach mixed with hot water. You add water to active the bleach. Leave it on for a couple of hours but don't let it dry out.

Wash off.
teapot

Post by teapot »

akwe-xavante wrote:Bleach

Works a treat, do it yourself.

Apply bleach mixed with hot water. You add water to active the bleach. Leave it on for a couple of hours but don't let it dry out.

Wash off.
I think you''l find the bleach is more than active before you add water and dilute it. Hot won't achieve anything extra except evaporation of the chlorine. Fine for limestone but in my case sandstone which has a lot of metals in it giving it the various colours the chlorine would not be so good.