Leaking skimmers

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
leon

Leaking skimmers

Post by leon »

Our cleaner vigorously cleaned the cement in-ground pool when it was empty and removed the seals around the skimmers. The pool has been leaking for 2 years now (into the cement pool house) - is this a simple job to fix or do I really need a company?
And is this very bad for the cement wall it is leaking into? The pool internal walls are painted with "chaux" (lime?) but the wall in the pool house is untreated cement.

I dread being fleeced again.

Any advice gratefully received and probably followed.

Thank you.
CSE

Post by CSE »

The reinforcement bars/matting could badly rust and cause flaking/cracking of the concrete if not remedied. This in the end will cause concrete to fail.
Also if you have a tilted pool they could fall off with the movement of the concrete due to the rusting rebars.
It should have been fixed years ago.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Leon, any chance of a picture? Is there any signs of iron staining around the skimmers? if not any structural work should be safe for now but obviously a repair is necessary. It will all eventually dry out.
Fortunately we have some marvelous modified polymer sealants that can work even under water, so you should be able to DIY it. Don't use silicone on anything damp.

I wonder if this could be moved to the swimming pool forum?
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world