Improved website?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Aldo

Improved website?

Post by Aldo »

I've just been trying to make our website more easily readable on mobiles while also placing larger images on each platform.

If you'd be so kind as to share your opinions on it before I take it online, that would be fantastic. You can have a look here - http://id2017.webflow.io

You can compare to the old one (see link below).

It's a work in progress so any comments and tips are welcome.

Many thanks.

UPDATE:
I've just put the website online so you'll now find it under the official url below.
Last edited by Aldo on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Just had a quick look.

Responds nicely to different viewport sizes.

Home page image was a little slow to load, first time, on my desktop.

You forgot some classes/css on your Helpful Links section.

It's unfortunate that the rich design feel doesn't carry forward to your Book Now and Availability links.

If you're taking bookings direct, join us on HVD. :)
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Hi Russellt,

Thank you for taking the time to look at my efforts. Really appreciate it. I've looked at making the large picture in the homepage less heavy. Hopefully it uploads quicker now.

Not sure what you mean regarding the Helpful Links section as this web builder is meant to do the back end for you. I've had a look again to see that all links there work.

Yes, the booking system is provided by another service provider and I shall need to get someone to redesign that to fit with the rest at some point. At the moment I'm trying to get this ready before the winter holidays start.

I have applied to join HVD. Cheers.
russellt

Post by russellt »

Just opened your site incognito(to avoid cache) and the image loads faster. So, that seems good.

I'm being a bit picky about Helpful Links. They are the standard 'blue with blue underline' links that html produces by default. The rest of your design is so rich, to me the links stick out a little bit like a sore thumb :shock: :wink:

I looked at view source and you seem not to have added any stylesheet classes to those links. I thought it was maybe an oversight. Or you maybe missed an option to style that text when you were doing the design. (But just leave as is, if it's not troubling you - for sure, I know the issues around tweaking design. Continuous work-in-progress, and you'll never please everyone! Sometimes you just have to move on :wink: )

Yes, I can see that the booking system goes outside. A bit of a styling/design challenge. But you've got your logo there, so that's good.

Welcome to HVD. Account opened. :D
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Hi Russellt,

I've managed to style the links. Thank you.

I shall hopefully upload the info on HVD later in the week. Cheers.

Aldo
Martha

Post by Martha »

Beautiful. As always, your place is such an inspiration! Remains firmly on my list :)
I did find it a little slow to load yesterday, but now seems better.

Using that format for the Location page is a great idea. Works so well!

Not much to add except bravo :)
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Aldo

Post by Aldo »

Thank you Martha.

I guess you mean the linked places of interest cards. They do work. The only disadvantage is that the words in the image don't come up in google searches this way. I'm sure there's a way of doing that too but I still need to find it.