What's a fair price for listings

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Ted

What's a fair price for listings

Post by Ted »

Hi there,

New to this thing but hoping i Can get some opinions

I was looking around on where to put my property, but some of these places are charging £200 - 400 a year!!

I found this website called The Melrose Directory and they only charge £95 and they don't charge extra for photos or anything. It was a nice website too and easy to use which makes me wonder if we're all paying too much for these other ones???

What does everyone else think???

zebedee

Post by zebedee »

The who???
Is it a household name? Would you think of them if you decided to book a holiday?
:? :? :?
jafa

Re: What's a fair price for listings

Post by jafa »

Ted wrote:Hi there,

New to this thing but hoping i Can get some opinions

I was looking around on where to put my property, but some of these places are charging £200 - 400 a year!!

I found this website called The Melrose Directory and they only charge £95 and they don't charge extra for photos or anything. It was a nice website too and easy to use which makes me wonder if we're all paying too much for these other ones???

What does everyone else think???

Are you Ted from the Melrose directory by any chance??

Jafa
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Well I've never seen or heard of them before. They don't come up whatever key words I use which would generally find cottages in my location.

They may be cheap but it's money down the drain if they don't send you any bookings. My first question to them would be how many hits they get on the site each day.

it also looks like they are using the standard off the shelf listing plug in ( Wordpress I think?) that most of these start up operations are using. It certainly looks like most of their competition.

The only advertising site I'm prepared to pay for is Independent Cottages which does get me bookings.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Ted - don’t waste your money.
It’s a startup with a model of being worldwide and no niche or USP, therefore attempting to compete head-on with the megamillion dollar established outfits who own the playing field. The size of the portfolio they’ve built up so far isn’t encouraging.

If you’re looking for advice on where to list, let us know the area you’re in and the type of property, your target market, maybe a link to your website, and I’m sure people can come up with some useful suggestions.
paolo

Post by paolo »

Ted,

I am guessing you are Alison from The Melrose Directory. Am I right?
Paolo
Lay My Hat
Bordering

Post by Bordering »

This site requires visitors to register before they can enquire. I’d expect a decent directory site to permit quick and easy enquiry via a form, and also show the owner’s phone number(s), and link to website too, on the page. People responding via directory sites are often doing so because they want direct-with-owner contact.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

paolo wrote:Ted,

I am guessing you are Alison from The Melrose Directory. Am I right?

:D :D
russellt

Post by russellt »

Bordering wrote:to permit quick and easy enquiry via a form, and also show the owner’s phone number(s), and link to website too, on the page.
+1 +1 +1

(Yup! Sounds kinda familiar :D
Visitors can also view your most recent social media content inside your HVD listing, if you wish to link it)
Web: https://yofftoo.com/property/esmes-cottage
Twitter/Facebook/Instagram: @esmescottage