New website: Sussex cottage (10 miles from Brighton)

Get some feedback on your site or ad from other rental owners and techies. Also a library of online resources so you can make DIY improvements to your web presence.
rosebud

New website: Sussex cottage (10 miles from Brighton)

Post by rosebud »

Would be most grateful for feedback on my site ....

(Took me 2 years to finish using Wordpress!)

https://steyningcottages.co.uk
Last edited by rosebud on Mon Dec 04, 2017 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

First problem: Your website is very well hidden :wink:
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Thanks Richard
Edited my post ... should be a bit easier now!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Excellent website. OK, there are some very minor issues, but only cos I was looking for them.
e.g. I was looking for "availability" but its not in the menus. Lower down main page is a CTA button that says "Availability & Rates" so I'd expect the menu to match.

However, thats sooooo trivial and well overshadowed by the writing style. I just loved the little throw away lines dotted as sub headings all over the place. Captions on the pictures which say "This is what is in the picture" followed by "and here is why you'll enjoy it".

To illustrate why it adds so much to the website, lets take "Check your diary and let's fix a date!"
and compare that to "BOOK NOW - only 4 weeks left. 3 other people are looking and the price may go up soon".

I know which one I'd prefer to book with.

By the way, I can also see why it took you so long. Well worth it. :D
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Agree with e-Richard - fab site with a lovely informal, personal writing style.

I have only had a quick look but a couple of small things - a 'page not found' link when I clicked 'read about the living area' at the bottom of the bedroom page.

And in the calendar, if I hover over certain booked dates I can see the name of presumably the person who has booked them.

But as I say, fab site, and the pictures are stunning. Well done.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

A big thank you Richard and Jenster...

So good of you to spend time taking a look...

Wonderful to have that positive feedback and have just sorted the issues you have picked up on...
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Ah, the familiar Alan Egan website giveaway website? I’m a fan (I used it too!). I agree you do have a really nice natural writing style. I started wondering about booking a weekend away in your lovely cottage in early 2018 so that's a good sign.

I noticed a few things to sort out too. Your kitchen page has the sidebar for posts (tags and things) rather than the one you use for the rest of your accommodation pages.

Also, a bit weird but I got a message about the website using cookies (not sure why as the usual template doesn’t have it?). When I clicked on the ‘find out more’ I got a 404 page not found.

Oh, when I'm in the Cottage Rates page and click on the check availability 'here' I get the 'Oops, page can't be found' message.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

Hello Susan

Many thanks for checking out my site and spotting things I had missed.. and for nice comments re writing style..

Lovely to know you actually thought about staying...!

I actually paid for Alan Egan's course .. no complaints .. it was well worth the moderate sum

Strangely the link from Availability to Rates page works when I try it..

Still puzzling over why I have a different side bar for the kitchen - will take another look tommorow
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

I lke it, very clear and simple, different, but not too much, to other sites. Main thing is great photos, well organised.