ICAL question

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
dado1977

ICAL question

Post by dado1977 »

Can you please explain when you add reservation in google calendar/ical do you include also day of departure?
For example if reservation is 01.08.-08.08.
Do you enter also till 08.08. or till 07.08. ?

As i have seen my ical synchro is different from site to site.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

iCal is simply an industry standard defined file which is written by the exporting system and read by an importing system.

For each booking, the file contains a START DATE and an END DATE

Its up to each individual writing system and each individual reading system to decide what these mean.

Typically holiday listing sites and Rental Management systems all agree, by convention that END DATE is the actual departure date.

P.S. Related iCal topic:

In the Airbnb dashboard, you can declare number of days notice required before a booking can be taken. So, Airbnb have decided (in their own infinite wisdom) to create dummy bookings for each day after "today" for the number of days notice, so that these days get "booked out" in their exported iCal file. This only happens, of course, if there are not any genuine bookings in the next n days.

So, when importing from Airbnb, you may get spurious dummy non-bookings that will block out your calendar for the next n days - and it does this every day.

Is this desirable ?
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !