Managing filled bedding

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Sherry

Managing filled bedding

Post by Sherry »

Just getting to grips with managing and rotating the bedding. I wash normal sheets etc at 60 degrees (which is too hot for most fitted sheets, hence why I have flat ones) but think I might be washing the filled bedding, like duvets and pillows, too much. Each pillow has on it a pillow protector, an underslip and a top pillow slip. I wash the pillow slips after each guest, as I do with sheets and duvet covers etc, and the pillow protectors after every second booking. The duvets themselves have been washed after every third booking, but that gets expensive as it’s a laundrette trip as they don’t fit in my machine. Any marks on anything and it’s replaced. Just not sure how often to wash the pillows. I know that domestic pillows should be washed twice a year, but how often for a holiday let? Any thoughts?
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Interesting one, well i'll start and i'll probably get into trouble with others here too....

I've never actually thought of washing pillows and duvets at all after two full years / seasons. I've always checked them though every week for smells, stains etc etc. I've had to wash a duvet twice in the last two years!

Personally I think that i'll be washing them this week now!

Mmm, but how often from now in, I think 4 times a year is enough myself unless an accident occurs in-between.
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I think you're being a tad over-efficient Sherry! :wink: I wash my duvets every couple of years unless they smell or are stained, pillows generally get replaced if stained or smelly as most of them aren't the washable type. That's even with having pillow protectors on them, ought to get waterproof ones if they exist but I've got about 30 pillows..... :roll:
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

I was pondering this question and concluded that it was actually cheaper to just buy a new duvet from somewhere like Tesco or B&M than to take one for a service wash in a laundrette! It just seems very wasteful though unless I can find a home for the old ones - Salvation Army maybe, or an animal sanctuary?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Where I am in France they now have big commercial washing machines and tumble driers in supermarket car parks to cater for the motorhome brigade so they're perfect for big bulky washes like duvets and bedspreads, up to 18kg. Here's a pic of two of my duvets washing for 8€. :D The 2€ for drying is only for 15 mins at a time so I only do them on a windy, sunny day and hang them up to dry.

Kathy
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

Plus 1 to Kathy.

The Fr. supermarket launderettes are very good but definitely choose a sunny / windy day for ease of drying.
Fleur
vacancesthezan

Post by vacancesthezan »

Fleur wrote:Plus 1 to Kathy.

The Fr. supermarket launderettes are very good but definitely choose a sunny / windy day for ease of drying.
Yes another vote for these.

They have even opened one in the next village to us so we dont have to travel far. Across the road from Lidl. Very popular though so you usually have to wait.

When we put a duvet in we "fill up" with pillows. Usually a couple will go in the biggest machine without any problem.

We always put a javel tablet in the wash with pillows and duvets. Makes sure that any "lingering" smells are zapped and leaves the outside sparkly white - like new. Not sure that you can get them anywhere but France though?

VT
Martha

Post by Martha »

I can only get singles in our machine...will look out for those big ones! Javel tablet is a good idea, I'll do that, thanks!

I do the singles once a year or as needed. Zipped Pillow covers once or twice a season or as needed. Ditto mattress covers.

Everything goes outside overnight at least twice over winter, to get thoroughly frozen (gets down to -15 at night here sometimes)

I'd like to get zipped duvet covers actually, to go under the main cover. *researches.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

vacancesthezan wrote:
We always put a javel tablet in the wash with pillows and duvets. Makes sure that any "lingering" smells are zapped and leaves the outside sparkly white - like new. Not sure that you can get them anywhere but France though?

VT
Ooh I've never seen Javel tablets, are they in the supermarkets? And is it possible to get waterproof pillow protectors?
Kathy
annedab

Post by annedab »

Lidl do the Javel tablets in their "W5" range. Very handy!
Regards

Anne

If there's no such thing as co-incidence, then why is there a word for it?
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Thanks Anne, I'll go and have a look. :D
Kathy
Martha

Post by Martha »

Hmmm these look good.
Does anyone use them?
https://www.outofeden.co.uk/products/28 ... -protector
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

All my linen etc is from Out Of Eden, can't fault it.
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

Another vote for Out of Eden, I've just had my first delivery of bed linen from them and it's fantastic for the price.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...