Airbnb the new buzzword

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
costa-brava

Airbnb the new buzzword

Post by costa-brava »

I have never used Airbnb, neither as an owner nor as a guest but maybe that will change. It's not about percentages or quality of service. It's just plain logic. If you want a vacuum cleaner you ask for a Hoover. A drill? Well that's a Black and Decker. Blow your nose on a Kleenex. Pressure hose the driveway with a Katcher.
In my family, in travel blogs and across the board people are now saying, "Oh, we booked an airbnb."
AIRBNB has entered the language as a synonym for holiday let.
COYS

Post by COYS »

And apparently the whole millenial population gets out/home in an Uber .... for now. A few years ago we would have called it’s predecessor on a Nokia :wink:
I’ve never used it either but this years buzzword could just as easily become next years Betamax.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Somehow I can see “we booked an airbnb” becoming the accommodation equivalent of “we had a slap-up meal at a Berni Inn”. Despite being a household name, did Berni Inns bring about the total demise of small independent restaurants and other eateries providing quality? Thought not.
Perhaps a more contemporary comparison would be appropriate; I’ll offer:
“Airbnb are to holiday accommodation what Nandos are to fine dining."
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Green barn.... :D
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
GRL

Post by GRL »

COYS wrote:And apparently the whole millenial population gets out/home in an Uber .... for now. A few years ago we would have called it’s predecessor on a Nokia :wink:
I still do :lol: -see the second paragraph and photo on this blog post http://eco-gites.blogspot.fr/2017/12/my ... -life.html
COYS

Post by COYS »

Succinctly put greenbarn :lol:

Rosie, your original Nokia definitely trumps the ancient Blackberry (retro chic!!) that I still use for work. Nice blog BTW
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
GRL

Post by GRL »

COYS wrote:Succinctly put greenbarn :lol:

Rosie, your original Nokia definitely trumps the ancient Blackberry (retro chic!!) that I still use for work. Nice blog BTW
Thank you COYS :D
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

I am pretty sure that AIRBNB has had an impact on me. I used to get quite a few short breaks for parents visiting school events at the local boarding schools. We don't seem to get any of these now.

I now list out of season dates on AIRBNB and I am starting to get some good winter bookings for people working in the area for a week or two. Just got a great booking for most of Feb which is usually empty.
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

Bit off-topic but for those of you that do use airbnb how easy did you find it to upload your ID information. I have spent the last hour trying and it constantly asks me to re-do. I can't help it if my ID photo is a few years old so I look a bit different now. I've tried both ID Card and Photo Driving Licence - zilch.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

It took me ages to get registered. So many hoops to jump through and many rejections eventually it worked.
Fleur
kg1

Post by kg1 »

The Olive Grove wrote:Bit off-topic but for those of you that do use airbnb how easy did you find it to upload your ID information. I have spent the last hour trying and it constantly asks me to re-do. I can't help it if my ID photo is a few years old so I look a bit different now. I've tried both ID Card and Photo Driving Licence - zilch.
Our Xmas guests originally came through ABB, she just could not get her driving licence loaded, tried over 2 days, in the end she found me (after a few heavy hints) and booked direct :D
kg1

Post by kg1 »

ianh100 wrote:I am pretty sure that AIRBNB has had an impact on me. I used to get quite a few short breaks for parents visiting school events at the local boarding schools. We don't seem to get any of these now.

I now list out of season dates on AIRBNB and I am starting to get some good winter bookings for people working in the area for a week or two. Just got a great booking for most of Feb which is usually empty.
We have definitely been affected by ABB, too many people renting out their back bedrooms, no regulation, no insurance, don't get me started...............................
teba18

Post by teba18 »

Greenbarn said:
"Airbnb are to holiday accommodation what Nandos are to fine dining."
I can add from experience that they can also be what fine dining is to Nando's - my family have used several that have been mouthwateringly amazing!
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

I was looking to book something cheap for me as I have to fly into the UK the day before meeting family for a week. Gave up in the end and booked Premier Inn instead. Don't think I will bother with them.

The place I was interested in never got back to me anyway.
barbersdrove

Post by barbersdrove »

I registered with AirBnB last June as another provider in the area was registered and I noticed our place idn't come up in the 'narby properties' section so thought it was worth a punt. I've been busy busy busy ever since. Lovely respectful guests.lots of workers and short break people. And as you review the guests as well as them reviewing you it seems to me they are more likely to follow the house rules and leave it as wanted etc.

In order to see what the guest experience was like w booked our last holiday with them (no trouble registering) and stayed n a fabulous place that only advertises with the,
I have cancelled my OD and TA accounts now nd am happy to stay with them for the time being.
A cream cake a day keeps the wrinkles at bay:)