Record keeping

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
kathiejs

Record keeping

Post by kathiejs »

I gather that we are meant to keep certain records (guest name and nationality?). But do we still need to do this if the let is through Airbnb, given that Airbnb have this info?
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

My thoughts are that you should be keeping as much detail as possible about your guests from there full names to there full address and indeed anything else inc a brief few notes about them and your experience with them. The weather, time of year, the dogs name etc etc. Did they look after the place and leave it clean and tidy or was it an absolute tip and disgustingly dirty. You might want to reject a booking from them next time they book or they were so nice you might want to consider something extra for them when they arrive next time.

If they rebook next year and it rained this year on the meet and greet you can say "I hope the weather is a lot better for you this visit, I think it rained last time you came" How's Buggles (The Dog) he wasn't that well last year hope he's a lot better now.

And was the holiday a celebration? A birthday, wedding anniversary and so on.

And you never know you may have to contact them after they have left and gone home too. You might find a diamond ring that needs returning or indeed you may need to contact them afterwards for any number of reasons.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

akwe-xavante wrote:My thoughts are that you should be keeping as much detail as possible about your guests
You might want to check on what the Data Protection Act says about what information we can collect and keep. I can’t remember the detail, but in essence it’s the minimum amount of information necessary.