theholidaylet.com 40 for 2yrs.

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.

are you looking to advertise whilst maintaining control and direct contact with Customers

yes, looking for other options
96%
no, believe the commission model is the way to go and don't care who visits as long as they do.
4%

Total votes: 26

DevonRental

theholidaylet.com 40 for 2yrs.

Post by DevonRental »

I have been looking (as a lot of people are) for an alternative to the arrogant gougers HA and TA.
Although I do not expect much in the way of enquiries, I think gbp 40 with second year free is worth a punt.

If enough people support them, this may translate to greater marketing efforts and thus eventually a viable alternative.

Owners maintain total control, can link to own site and communicate with enquirere's direct, not through a "system" in the name of our "safety".
Calendar can be updated via ical auomatically, so does not require extra work, just link it to own or 3rd party calendar I already use.

The site look clean to, just hope that the latest moves by the big guys will mean these will start buiding momentum.

Fingers crossed! worth my 40 for 2 years. Not going to take the HA/TA nonsense lying down.
Last edited by DevonRental on Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DevonRental

Post by DevonRental »

love to hear of some other options which charge a flat fee.
(cost should reflect their exposure)

If anyone has any ideas, please post below.

Thank you!
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Do you have some personal connection with this site, DevonRental? I ask in case you have not read the rules of the site. Apologies if I sound suspicious and you are innocent but it has happened multiple times before that people come on to promote their own or family sites, without declaring that.
DevonRental

Post by DevonRental »

Dear Felicity,

no I have none. However if an admin would prefer to edit (and indicate they have) they are free to do so.

I am trying to find as many alternatives as I can and the one mentioned is the first I found that may have potential. As the GBP 40 was not a big investment (for 2 years), I thought I would try. (particularly as further renewals are free is less that a certain number of enquiries).

I have only just listed so have no idea whether it will lead somewhere. I am just quite keen to find alternatives.

I think it is many peoples interest to get a good list of alternatives.
This site is great and my main source for info, but things get lost/ or out of date.

What would be nice (but I cannot find) is a table (updated) as a sticky with all the advertisers and their costs/conditions (such as direct contact w guests/ability to arrange payments yourself etc..

Hoping to look into that in the new year of I get the time.

thanks

Jaap
COYS

Post by COYS »

DevonRental, that web address redirects to a completely unconnected page :?
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
DevonRental

Post by DevonRental »

apologies, now corrected.

theholidaylet.com not myholidaylet.com
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Have been with theholidaylet for 9 years, received my first booking last week! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

Have been with theholidaylet for 9 years, received my first booking last week! :D
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
DevonRental

Post by DevonRental »

lets hope things take off for them. I did see elsewhere on this site that it is a slow start. bit of chicken and egg situation - guess they need income to allow to market (if they have expertise.)

Anyway the price would be ok even if I only get a few bookings. (compared to the big players.)

Currently on HQ/OD and TA/HL and will drop one and keep with the other for the moment.
TA/HL was really poor last year. Direct bookings were up a lot.

Have a lot of repeats and I do attract some bookings via my own site and via google but not quite ready to drop both.

Advertise on some more obscure EU sites (mostly free) but they do bring the odd booking. If I can convert these into repeats and can finally tell HL/OD where to go. :D
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

I am with them too. I was thrown by the myholidaylet mistake. I think it must be 3 or 4 years now. I have never had an enquiry, let alone a booking, although I think they are a nice looking site and I do try and keep my calendar up to date there. You have reminded me that I have forgotten to do this for a month or so...
DevonRental

Post by DevonRental »

my site is not live yet, so can't comment much other than it looks good.
I don't need to update calendar as it pulls it form my own online calender (iCal). SO only need to check periodically to update text or photos..

Think the iCal feature is more recent so perhaps you may want to do that.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

KathyG wrote:Have been with theholidaylet for 9 years, received my first booking last week! :D
One more booking than me and a very small number of enquiries in the past 4 years. I want to scream at THL to do some proper marketing. It's a great looking site and it's just what the market wants.

Coolstays is a site of similar size. I have been with them for about a year. I have lost count of the enquiries, but it's well into double figures and one booking achieved so far. Their annual sub is expensive, but their very large emailing list to potential guests must have effect. I put myself on the list and I am all the time bombarded with quite intelligent and interesting advertising information. It is not spam, because I can unsubscribe at any time.
FelicityA

Post by FelicityA »

Haven't ever heard of Coolstays, before, but I like their site. Their approach is much the same as Oneoffplaces with whom I have listed for a while, without success. They approached me, despite me saying I didn't think our place was particularly 'unique' (as they have lighthouses, mills, tree houses etc.). I don't know if I have enough 'Wow' to qualify for Coolstays.... Hopefully, they don't need the gold taps and the hot tub.

Their prices to list seem to be a closely guarded secret - could you give us a rough idea of the different tier rates please, Andrew?
Last edited by FelicityA on Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DevonRental

Post by DevonRental »

thanks for the tip of CoolStays. I have never come across them but the site is attractive.
I am not a fan of email marketing but they appear elsewhere too so could be an option.
Shame they don't have transparent pricing on their website but I will contact them to see what the pricing model is.
Many thanks!
COYS

Post by COYS »

AndrewH wrote: I want to scream at THL to do some proper marketing. It's a great looking site and it's just what the market wants.
+1
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.