change in law minimum length of stay gites

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
petitbois

change in law minimum length of stay gites

Post by petitbois »

talking to a fellow non-French chambres d'hotes owner locally whose business has taken a nose-dive this year due to gites in same village accepting 1 night stays - 9 guests for 65euros/night!!!! She has been informed by 'someone' that as from next year, there will be a minimum stay restriction for self-catering gites, as many hotels & chambres d'hotes have suffered a similar fate to ourselves. My GdF colleague is currently seriously ill, so do not wish to pester her - anyone here with GdF who knows of any such new law?? Searched on-line, can find no mention.
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

It would seem on first look impossible to "police" such a law if it exists, as if the person with the gite does not offer breakfast then he is not a chambre d'hote and would not contravene any existing "terms".
I would have also thought that the owner of the gite could fight such an imposition under restriction of trade regs.
What would Plato do ?
teapot

Post by teapot »

Sounds like utter rubbish, big O'l place france, when I travel across it I frequently have one night stays (nearly wrote one night stands :oops: ) I'd be dammed if I would stay a min number of nights to please some controlling body.

They have lots of laws in france that no one takes any notice of, They banned plastic one use items like plastic cups, spoons etc, you can still buy them everywhere.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

teapot wrote:Sounds like utter rubbish.
Knowing France as I do then its probably true :P
What would Plato do ?
teapot

Post by teapot »

Maybe it's just a ban on Airbnb? Have no issue with that :D
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world