Changes tax de sejour , check here

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Does the 8 months refer to your principle home in France, We come and go as we wish to France although we also live in the UK but renting for only 4 months during the season?
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
teapot

Post by teapot »

teapot wrote:Does the 8 months refer to your principle home in France, We come and go as we wish to France although we also live in the UK but renting for only 4 months during the season?
Just bumping this question back up again and hopefully getting an answer. What do the French mean by live in your home for 8 months as we have to send back our declaration soon but we only really rent for 4 months of the year but the Sister got Mrs Teapot to put down our house as a gite at the Mairie's.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
paolo

Post by paolo »

Article L324-1-1
Modifié par LOI n°2014-366 du 24 mars 2014 - art. 10
Toute personne qui offre à la location un meublé de tourisme, que celui-ci soit classé ou non au sens du présent code, doit en avoir préalablement fait la déclaration auprès du maire de la commune où est situé le meublé.

Cette déclaration préalable n'est pas obligatoire lorsque le local à usage d'habitation constitue la résidence principale du loueur, au sens de l'article 2 de la loi n° 89-462 du 6 juillet 1989
Your principal residence is defined as somewhere you live for at least 8 months of the year. If this is the case you do not need to declare it as a rental at the mairie.
Paolo
Lay My Hat
teapot

Post by teapot »

Thank you Paolo,

Well it is our main residence when in france, we only rent for 4 months so I think we will complete the paperwork as such.

We received the paperwork for collecting the TS this morning so will have to get on to this quickly less the red tape starts un raveling.
pachypach1

Post by pachypach1 »

paolo wrote:If I was renting out my main residence (i.e. where I live for at least 8 months), and I was asked to pay taxe de sejour I would point them to this from the Code de Tourisme:
" Art. L. 2333-29 du code général des collectivités territoriales.

La taxe de séjour est établie sur les personnes qui ne sont pas domiciliées dans la commune et n'y possèdent pas une résidence à raison de laquelle elles sont passibles de la taxe d'habitation. "
(my bolds)
Sorry I know this is an old thread, but I am querying paying the tax de sejour with our commune.
Our house is residence principle and we move out totally (for 3 months in the summer) to be able to rent it to holidaymakers.
What do I need to tell the tourist office who are collecting the tds, that I will be exempt?
Any info I have read on forums etc is contradictory, and the French govt website doesn't say for definite...
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Interesting.

We had self catering accommodation on the same site as our 'maison principale' where we live all year. We pay taxe d'habitation, of course. When we declared the accommodation to the Mairie as rentable in the Summer we paid taxe de sejour.

We part own another house in the next commune which is rented out in the Summer and/or used by the other (UK based) owners. We pay taxe d'habitation on the property. We also declared it as a meuble de tourisme and pay taxe de sejour for the guests who stay there.

Are we paying unnecessarily on one or both? Have things changed recently?