PMP vs Wordpress website?

Everything to do with using your own website to advertise your rental property. Design, usability, hosting, getting listed on the search engines, optimising your site, pay-per-click, etc, etc.
Jenster

PMP vs Wordpress website?

Post by Jenster »

Having a look at Rosebud's lovely new Wordpress website (in website reviews) has got me thinking. I have a PMP website which I'm very happy with but often hear that the extra time and effort for a WP site is well worth it.

Just wondering if anyone has experience of using both and whether having a 'posher' website is advantageous in terms specifically of bookings? Thanks.
COYS

Post by COYS »

For what it's worth Jenster, although I can appreciate the artistry of the 'posher' websites, I kinda prefer ones like yours that give me all the info I need in pics, links & actual words in an easy to browse format. I have no specific reasoning for it other than a preference for simplicity & ease of use.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
NeatandPicky

Post by NeatandPicky »

This year I moved my site from PMP to WordPress following Alan Egan's free course (a new version of which is now available). This is also how Rosebud made hers too... you'll see the similarity in format if you compare our sites.

I am LOVING the increased flexibility of WordPress in terms of presentation (although before I used it I was perfectly happy with PMP). What sold the idea to me, though, was the much better blog integration. Destination-based sites bring traffic, give you a continuous supply of things to write about and keep it dynamic -
which dramatically help SEO.

My site was launched in August and we have more forward bookings than we've ever had at this stage of the year.

You need to ask yourself whether you're prepared to keep adding blog posts on a regular basis. If so, your Google ranking will improve. You can also share them on social media to increase your reach.

WordPress is also more 'techy' although Alan has a support group to help with any difficulties that may arise. The course uses a free WordPress theme with Elementor drag-and-drop plugin.

Do take a look at Alan's presentation: https://vimeo.com/234377090
Alan Egan

Post by Alan Egan »

Thank you Neat and Picky,

To give people an idea of what can be achieved, Colin created this site on Sunday https://palmspringsvacationcondo.com/

He hadn't used Wordpress before (but said he knows his way around a computer).

Owners can register and take the free courses here
https://learn.vacationsoup.com

You'll find a lot of marketing videos and advice here, even if you don't want to build a site or use the plugin.
As I said, access to these videos is free.

We are adding new courses every month
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Looking at the very impressive amount of bookings you already have for 2018 Jester I don't think you have any need to change your website unless you fancy making a new one!
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Me again! A quick example of the pros and cons of using Wordpress over PMP. The other week I was looking at Alan's new website giveaway and saw that he was saying we should have SSL certificates (so HTTPS://) as Google is keen that all sites do. My "older-Alan" site didn't, but, because I was on Wordpress (and Siteground) I was able to get a certificate and move my website to SSL. PMP can't do this yet. So you have more control over your site when on Wordpress.

The con in this example is that originally I didn't do a very good job of it! I got the certificate but didn't make all the changes I needed in my website with the (weird) consequence that randomly I found some of my pictures vanishing on my website and in the media library. I was able to sort it out but it was worrying and I was on my own, not able to shout for help from PMP. So the advantage can also be a disadvantage if you see what I mean!
nealh

Post by nealh »

Many moons ago I used Dreamweaver to create our website but when I look back I cringe at what I produced. We made the move over to WordPress some time ago and would certainly not go back to anything else. There is the flexibility to be as simple or as complicated as you like, but most important of all, you own the site. This is in contrast to sites like PMP where you could potentially be held hostage to, for example, increased fees or restrictions on access if they so choose.

While I could not see my mother being able to complete a WordPress website (she still struggles with the TV remote at times!), I should think the overwhelming majority of LMH members would be capable of creating one. I have a friend here in Cyprus who is creating a web site for the first time using Alan's video tutorials and although it is taking a while, she is getting there.

For me the advantages of a WP site far outweigh the disadvantages.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Thanks for all the responses, they have certainly given me food for thought.

Susanmay a lot of my bookings are from OD and a few are repeats, so not that impressive! I get about half from my website but would like to increase this.

A good point about owning your own website nealh, this might definitely persuade me to switch.

My main ‘blocker’ is finding the time and energy to do it. Might have to save it for a rainy day.
nealh

Post by nealh »

Jenster wrote:My main ‘blocker’ is finding the time and energy to do it. Might have to save it for a rainy day.
According to the blurb from Alan Egan's offering, his site can be done in 3 hours... maybe you could put his claim to the test :D !
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Hmm, I still think you have a lot of 2018 bookings already. Is there a way of limiting the OD ones? Can you make OD just bookable for the next 3 months or something so that your own website has a better chance of getting the bookings? I'm thinking that you'd probably be in the same position irrespective of whether you have a PMP or Wordpress website.

Anyway I'm getting off the point of this post. A lot of the effort involved in creating a website is getting the words and gathering the pictures so building a new Wordpress website probably wouldn't be as much time and energy as you fear as you already have a website so have got much of that already. I found putting it all together in Wordpress quite good fun. Although I do seem to a spend an inordinate amount of time fiddling with it now unnecessarily!
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Yes I know what you mean about spending hours fiddling! I do this constantly with pmp and my fb page!

You are probably right about bookings being much the same with PMP and wordpress. You are right that OD often fills weeks that I would probably have filled directly later...I would like to come off the listing sites altogether and put my website fully to the test but am not brave enough!
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I had a PMP site before I created my WordPress site (based on Alan Egan's excellent course)

My WordPress site has been live since April and bookings through my website have increased by about 5% (so far) to 56%..

I am very pleased that I created the WordPress site but am not really techy so it took me a long time and I have since done a 12 hour' Further Wordpress' course at a local college.

Helpful feedback from this forum made me go back to my WordPress site yesterday and I spent the whole day working on it.. Mainly checking on my 'plug ins' and trying to find out if I am using all of them (E.g Easy Custom Sidebars!)

And yes Jenster your bookings are truly impressive .. I also am still advertising on Owner's Direct (best source after my website) but am sadly about to drop Independent Cottages ..
Alan Egan

Wordpress Tutorials

Post by Alan Egan »

I have put together a learning centre as part of Vacation Soup and I have added over 400 video tutorials, most of which are Wordpress related.
These also cover subjects like SEO for beginners, Google Analytics, Facebook Marketing, Social Media Marketing, Brand Storytelling, Instagram for beginners and more.

You can find these videos at https://learn.vacationsoup.com - Just click on 'More Resources' in the main menu

These videos are free to watch until the new year (after that they will be for members of the soup)

The free website building course and the blogging and vacation soup plugin course can also be found here - They will remain free for anyone who wants to take them.

The VS plugin works with any Wordpress website
golfing girl

Post by golfing girl »

I have been following Alan's tutorials. I made a wordpress site in 2010 but being dot com it had limitations.
I have been impressed with the help from the tutorials but it has taken me nearly 2 weeks! So far the look is impressive and if it brings in the bookings, then it's time well spent.
I wish I was on the golf course
Alan Egan

Post by Alan Egan »

Way to go, Golfing Girl.

I hope that you are enjoying the course.
I look forward to seeing your site.

Here's wishing you a great Christmas.