Barriers to change

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.

What is stopping you leaving HomeAway/TripAdvisor?

Cost of alternatives
No votes
Time and effort to place new adverts
8%
Effort finding good alternatives
No votes
No confidence alternatives will generate any bookings
88%
Technical quality of alternatives
4%

Total votes: 24

Nigel Goodwin

Barriers to change

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

It is well known that people tend to stay with what they are familiar with, and it takes a jolt to change.

What is your biggest hindrance to change?

It may take two steps - keep existing advertisements but advertise for a year also on other sites, then pull the plug on HA/TA.

Please add other reasons why you may not change - the list of possible barriers to change is probably quite long.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I chose your fourth option...although I have listed on a lot of free or low cost site in addition to HA, and put a lot of effort into promoting through FB, 50% of my bookings still come through HA. If or when the balance tips and this lowers to an insignificant %age, I will drop them. The decision is purely pragmatic for me.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Nigel,
We still list with TA (commission) and HA on subscription but as these have dropped off we have moved to others. We are finding that it is possible to get bookings via FB but also a lot of time wasters. Airbnb and Booking.com are good for us for filling out of season dates.

We use PIMS as a management tool and ical helps keep the availability up to date. My real pain point is keeping the rates updated across so many sites, in particular specifying the minimum number of nights at different times of year. I got burnt on a couple of bookings where I had failed to set the correct short break settings and took short breaks on a weekly pro rata rate.
kg1

Post by kg1 »

We went on to Subscription basis with HL/TA this year but as they want £600.00 to renew are going back on commission. I haven't voted as my main reason for not leaving is all my reviews are on there.
AndrewH

Barriers to change

Post by AndrewH »

I no longer use any of the TripAdvisor sites to advertise my rental. Because from my experience and fall-out with one of them, I simply so dislike the lot of them.

Regarding HA(UK)/OD, my reason for staying with Owners Direct is not listed in the poll. The reason is that it gives me a "web presence". I don't get, and I don't expect to get, any bookings directly through my OD listing and although the listing is way down the list, guests might, and possibly do, find my property there, but are knowledgeable enough to realize that they can find me by searching and booking direct, or via some other site which won't rob them of a packet of money.

At present I am on a cheap subscription with OD set up long ago. At renewal time in June, the new subscription price might have become too high to justify this, although a commission listing could be the answer.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've had little or no interest from either HA or TA for many months. Most of my winter bookings have been direct to website, via my apartment manager or from Booking.com . Yes, commission for BC is steep, but so these days are HA and TA.
They then book direct when they return.
Tremewan

Re: Barriers to change

Post by Tremewan »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:What is your biggest hindrance to change?

It may take two steps - keep existing advertisements but advertise for a year also on other sites, then pull the plug on HA/TA.
I have just voted on the poll, going for the "No confidence alternatives will generate any bookings" option.

I fully understand that new businesses take (a long) time to get established, and am very grateful that Nigel Goodwin has allowed us to advertise our 3 properties on his site (Owner Holidays) for over a year at a zero fee. During that time, however, we have not received a single enquiry (and therefore not a single booking) via his site. For him to say that we should advertise for a year also on other sites, then pull the plug on HA/TA seems a little premature, as we could not afford to leave the (admittedly awful) OD/HA, while they are getting us lots of business and Nigel's "alternative" has generated sweet FA.

Incidentally, we also listed on two other "newbie alternatives" at the same time (over 12 months ago) and one of them - Simply Owners - has actually generated 27 enquiries, of which 6 turned into firm bookings. I think I know which of the "alternatives" I will be sticking with.
roxytoo

Post by roxytoo »

When my sub expires I will not renew. I may sell up.
leon

Post by leon »

Hi Tremewan,

Can you please tell us the cost of advertising on simplyowners.net?
I can't find any details on their site apart from a tel number.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Tremewan wrote:Incidentally, we also listed on two other "newbie alternatives" at the same time (over 12 months ago) and one of them - Simply Owners - has actually generated 27 enquiries, of which 6 turned into firm bookings. I think I know which of the "alternatives" I will be sticking with.
Thanks Tremewan, that is interesting. I am not on there, but I believe the subscription for Simply Owners is in three figures from the start. However it looks like a case of paying the right price for what you get. There is no point in paying nothing in order to get nothing. Perhaps SO are using much of their revenue to promote themselves, because that's they way forward, IMO.
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Nigel Goodwin

Post by Nigel Goodwin »

AndrewH wrote: There is no point in paying nothing in order to get nothing..
That is partly why I set up the poll. OwnerHolidays is still free, but maybe that needs to change.

In my other business area (oil and gas software), it is easy to under price software. The procurement process is so convoluted that there is a minimum effective price of around $20k per seat. Below that, you don't make any profit.

I think the industry is big enough that a handful of old-style listing sites could prosper.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Nigel Goodwin wrote:... it is easy to under price software.
The issue is that you are not selling software. A listing site is a service; viz "Finding buyers".

I remember when VRBO ruled the waves in the US. Like Biros, Hoovers and Velcro, the brand name was the business. It was insanely successful, but compared to HolidayLettings, OwnersDirect, Fewo/direkt etc. the VRBO website was absolute shite. It did not matter. They put guests in touch with holiday home owners in a very big way.

My point is well born out by the survey results here.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Bree

Post by Bree »

I have said "technical qualities of alternatives"
For me I look at the filters on the website & availability updates.
There is a high price to pay if you do not keep your calendar updated on bigger sites (eg on instant booking etc you know if dates are available). I am also guilty of not updating my calendar on sites where I have paid a fee but don't get much enquiries.

The other item is the filters, when I am booking a holiday this is the most important thing eg heated pool, indoor pool etc.
You have done a great job on your website Nigel but for me I would like to see filters and some guarantee that owners respond within x hours & keep their calendar updated. Best of luck with it as I would love to see a good alternative..
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Our reasons for staying with TA aren't listed - to keep our reviews and because HL confirms that we've been letting for 11 years. We only release the next 8 weeks dates on TA. Apart from that we're trying to avoid the big listing sites.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth