Airbnb to allow guests to Pay Less Up Front

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
CSE

Airbnb to allow guests to Pay Less Up Front

Post by CSE »

Like is says:
http://www.breakingtravelnews.com/news/ ... -up-front/
Should not affect payments to you. However, will it have an influence on the number of late cancellations?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

"The launch of Airbnb Split Payments"
AB&B make it sound as if they have invented something new, whereas they are just catching up with the rest of us online operators, who have been splitting payments for years and wouldn't consider doing things any other way. I.e. an X% rental deposit (non-refundable most likely) straightaway to secure the chosen dates, and the balance of rent Y weeks before arrival.
CSE

Post by CSE »

I hope it is a good thing for those who list on the portal. From what you have said it should be.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

AndrewH wrote:..AB&B make it sound as if they have invented something new.
Yes, that was exactly my first reaction, but I am no longer surprised. Remember the idea about giving a discount for staying a whole week?

I was intending to write a longer review later, but I'm about 2/3 of the way through a book looking at the innards of ABB and in particular the culture as spouted by the 3 founders who are all still very active.

Their whole thought process and thrust is based on the premise that ABB have invented something completely new that never existed before 2007 (their birth). It's all about "sharing your home". No surprises when I add that its almost exclusively aimed at Urban dwellers, but specifically those who want to offer space in their own domiciles. The concept of holiday villas or buy to let is totally alien and only an afterthought. Their real competition and the industry that they set out to disrupt was the 1-3 night hotel stay by millennial travellers and more recently junior businessmen.

There's a lot more to it than that, and (so far) I can really recommend this book for a roller coaster ride through the process of start up in a closely related industry

The Airbnb Story: How Three Guys Disrupted an Industry, Made Billions of Dollars … and Plenty of Enemies by Leigh Gallagher
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !