Newbie advice - kitchens & boiling water taps - yes or n

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Rosa12

Newbie advice - kitchens & boiling water taps - yes or n

Post by Rosa12 »

Hi All, our house purchase finally went through in December and my partner and I are currently refurbishing our house for rental. We are starting with the kitchen and would be grateful for any advice. We are considering installing a boiling water tap to maximise bench space as the kitchen is quite small but we are a bit worried about usability and safety for our guests. Do any of you have these? Would you advise this or a simple kettle? :) Thanks in advance.
Just starting out - eeek!
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

The trouble is, guests are notoriously bad about reading any instructions.
Then they like to drink alcohol when on holiday, and sometimes bring young children with them.
I may be just too cautious.....??
COYS

Post by COYS »

You may save a tiny bit of worktop space (kettle) but the heat/storage tank & plumbing will almost certainly take up most of a single sink unit. Trendy at the moment but like many things could end up an expensive fad.
Like zebedee suggests, guests often leave common sense at home & kids + instantaneous boiling water is an accident waiting to happen for me.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Welcome to the forum.
Never heard of these so looked up about them.
One brand suggests it has child safety lock and a spray nozzle to reduce scolding. Even with these "safety features" I could not agree more with the above. Those safety features do not fully prevent accidental use and having boiling water flowing on to a persons hands.
Purchase a kettle.
However the kitchen sounds as if it must be smaller than one in a caravan, given there is little work top space. If so that could be an area for guest to grumble about.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Old Bill

Post by Old Bill »

Hi Rosa, we have had one of these taps at home for several years now and are very pleased with it. It doesn’t take up too much space under the sink and I don’t think it could be operated by a young child as you have to press down fairly firmly on the tap to get it to produce the hot water. If your guests weren’t familiar with one they might be a bit confused at first. Then they would probably go home and get their own. They aren’t cheap however and are affected by hard water so need servicing regularly.
Rosa12

Post by Rosa12 »

Your comments so far pretty much echo our concerns. I just wondered whether anyone had a good experience with them. Thanks for your input :)
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

We've installed a Qooker at home (not at the holiday let), and I really really love it.

It does have very good childproofing features and when the water comes out its in a sort of spray which is much less likely to burn. The Salesman ran his hand under the flow to demonstrate, but I declined his offer to copy.

But I'm afraid its not holidaymaker proof; but then holidaymakers could just as easily pour a boiling kettle over their bare feet while wrapping a washing line around their neck just before they jump into the pool.

So from a safety point of view, I guess we should only let out padded houses with no furniture.

However: the gubbins what makes it all work takes up a lot of space under the sink. That could have been valuable storage space or bin space in a small kitchen.

AND its expensive to buy and install.
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

For a holiday let - definitely a kettle.
The best things in life are free
Rosa12

Post by Rosa12 »

Thanks e-Richard and Giraffe. I would definitely have one at home as I love them. I was concerned about holiday guests so thought I would ask those more in the know. Thanks for your help :). Kettle it is then.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

Bit late but I'd go for the kettle if only on the grounds that they are cheap and quick & easy to replace if they go wrong.
Running Chrissy

Post by Running Chrissy »

We have the hot water taps at work and I would say they don’t quite get to the boil so tea is never as good as it should be. They also need their filters changing a lot (hard water area).
Making a start in North Cornwall 🌊