Bath AND shower cubicle (in same room)?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Running Chrissy

Bath AND shower cubicle (in same room)?

Post by Running Chrissy »

Currently renovating our property which is a three bed but we’re going to market it as sleeps 4.
The bathroom is just about big enough to have a shower cubicle as well as the bath.

Is this worth the extra expense and upkeep? If we don’t have the extra cubicle we will have a bath with a shower over it.

Reasons for
- to allow for older / less mobile people who would prefer to walk into a shower
- no shower curtain
- some people prefer a cubicle shower

Reasons not to
- extra expense
- something else to go wrong
- more cleaning
- could make the bathroom crowded (or might not)
Making a start in North Cornwall 🌊
Rogthedodge

Post by Rogthedodge »

Two years ago we updated our bathroom, I was persuaded to do away with the bath and put in a large walk in shower, complete success, no complaints at all. Just a thought for you.
Deary me am I real.

www.holiday-rentals.com/52179
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I've just stayed in a hotel with the same arrangment. It's great as I can soak in the bath after a long day in the car and hubby can have a shower at the same time. If there's plenty of space go for it. You can have a shower screen over a bath though, no need for a curtain if you don't want one. I have a sliding one over our bath at home. https://www.plumbworld.co.uk/coram-fram ... 8522-18825
apexblue

Post by apexblue »

Families prefer a bath for children.
It is better to remain quiet and have one think you are stupid, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt....

The biggest mistake we make in life is thinking we have time.
Happy Days

Post by Happy Days »

I would definitely recommend you have both. We have a freestanding bath and separate glass shower unit. We have only started last year as a Bed & Breakfast. It is the photo of the bathroom that attracts female bookers.
We wish you good luck.
Running Chrissy

thanks everyone, those are all very good points. I will take a look at the shower screens for the bath too.
Ben McNevis

Post by Ben McNevis »

Yes, we have bath plus shower Tardis in the bathroom in the little cottage. The thinking behind it is that it's a stone building with timber lining and we didn't think that an open-to-the-air shower would be good for the building. So, the shower is enclosed including a lid and positioned so that you have to close the shower door to be able to exit the bathroom.

It was expensive but it's done about 9 years now and still cleans up nicely. The bath is rarely used.
Cheers, Ben
www . scotland-cottage.com www . scottish-cottage.com

Visiting Glenrothes? It's one of your Fife-a-day
Martha

Post by Martha »

Could you look at a full wet room, to avoid the clutter of a cubicle? We have this in our house in London, it works really well. When we renovate here, we'll probably do it here as well.
The whole room is a walk in shower, with a bath to one side.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
COYS

Post by COYS »

I've installed many a bathroom over the years. If you have the space fit both.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
pambon

Post by pambon »

COYS wrote:I've installed many a bathroom over the years. If you have the space fit both.
Yes, if you have the space fit both otherwise go just for the shower cubicle.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Consider both as a wet room rather than a conventional bathroom with both.

Hidden shower tray in the floor tiled over then fit a freestanding bath over the floor. No cubical, no shower screen or rail. Just an open room, a lot less to clean and look after.

This is what i have done and it works very well indeed, very low maintenance and it's cleaned in a flash.

Just google "Wet Room with Bath" to get ideas. Most images will show a wet room with screen and a hidden shower unit but you don't need them. I have just used a STD electric Mira shower unit, cheeper and easy to maintain / repair and replace if required. The room is large enough not to need a screen i admit, yours may not be large enough i don't know.
Running Chrissy

Thanks everyone, great food for thought. I have to confess to currently exploring buying an old cast iron bath and getting it resurfaced. Not broken the idea to the builder yet though - would need a strong floor!
Def going to try bath plus shower in one form or another.
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

I have to say I loathe wet rooms unless there is a separate toilet. You end up having to walk on the still-wet floor in your slippers long after you've finished your shower, and it makes dirty footprints. Or you take them off and get wet socks.
delilah

Post by delilah »

it sounds to me like it's going to be quite a tight fit for you to have bath and shower, and I think shower over bath is not great (safety, and not that nice to use on holiday).
I get a lot of families with children in my three bed cottage, which has en suite and family bathroom.
Did away with the bath to enable 900 x 900 quadrant showers in family bathroom and en suite. That's worked well for 5 years and it's never mentioned as a down side.
I did some market research before we decided, basically by asking random mums at cafes! They all said shower rather than bath.
I think when people are on holiday they aren't so concerned about baths as they would be at home. It's potentially only an issue when someone has a baby, but it doesn't seem to be.
My thoughts would be forget the bath, and put a big shower in a cubicle in. If you are marketing a very high end boutique property, then I think you would need a bath.
whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't....you're right
www.anchoragemewsmersea.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/AnchorageMewsHo ... age?ref=hl
delilah

Post by delilah »

...cast iron baths are very cold to lay in (Been using one in an old house I'm referring....its going!)
whether you think you can, or whether you think you can't....you're right
www.anchoragemewsmersea.co.uk
http://www.facebook.com/AnchorageMewsHo ... age?ref=hl