UK properties requesting non UK visitors passport details -

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
ianh100

UK properties requesting non UK visitors passport details -

Post by ianh100 »

Sorry if this has been covered before, I couldn't see it specific to the UK.

We are getting an increasing number of non UK guests staying, I was just updating and checking our process and reading the details of the Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972

This still seems to apply and suggests that we need to record not just the full name and nationality of each guest but also the passport number, place of issue and next destination.

Does everybody do this? It is easy for me to request it if they book direct but we take bookings from various sources that don't request this which would mean us having to ask the guest to provide all information for a second time.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

Immigration (Hotel Records) Order 1972

Provision of information by visitors:-

(1) Every person of or over the age of 16 years who stays at any premises to which this Order applies shall, on arriving at the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of his full name and nationality.

(2) Every such person who is an alien shall also—

(a) on arriving at the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of the number and place of issue of his passport, certificate of registration or other document establishing his identity and nationality; and

(b) on or before his departure from the premises, inform the keeper of the premises of his next destination and, if it is known to him, his full address there.

This order was made under the Immigration Act 1971. This was before Britain joined the European Economic Community let alone the European Union. I think the 1971 Act must have been repealed somewhere along the line since 1971, but I cannot find confirmation of that.

In 2018, I can't imagine visitors to hotels and self catering establishments, aliens (that was the word in use) and nationals alike, leaping forward to volunteer all this information, because that was what the law then required!
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

There is a requirement in France to hold details of all guests ( names, passport nos) so that they are available to the Gendarmes if requested. This I believe was introduced recently as part of the anti-terror legislation, so whether the 1971 UK law has been rescinded ??
What would Plato do ?
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

I suspect it's more relevant to hotels or B&Bs if it does still apply.

We don't do it and I'm not sure how we would go about it - we're off site and guests let themselves in and out. They could email us their passport details but then aren't they always being told not to do that because of the risks of identity fraud? I suspect most guests wouldn't be comfortable about giving us their next address either.

All that information could be made up on the spot and we'd have no easy way of verifying it so it seems pretty pointless.

Also, in 13 years of holiday letting, no one has ever asked us for our guests passport details.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Joanna wrote:I suspect it's more relevant to hotels or B&Bs if it does still apply.

We don't do it and I'm not sure how we would go about it - we're off site and guests let themselves in and out. They could email us their passport details but then aren't they always being told not to do that because of the risks of identity fraud? I suspect most guests wouldn't be comfortable about giving us their next address either.

All that information could be made up on the spot and we'd have no easy way of verifying it so it seems pretty pointless.

Also, in 13 years of holiday letting, no one has ever asked us for our guests passport details.
We are in the UK and do it, because I understand that it is still a legal requirement. It's harder to get Airbnb guests to do it. But after pointing out that they are legally required to do so, so far they have all complied. I will cancel their booking if they don't but it has never got that far.

I don't push next destination beyond town or country.

VisitBritain still say this is a legal requirement.

Jonathan
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

Jonathan - are you on-site? Do you collect this info when guests arrive or in advance? The law seems to be that it's collected on arrival. I assume that's so that you can look at the passport photo and see that it matches the guest standing in front of you.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Joanna wrote:Jonathan - are you on-site? Do you collect this info when guests arrive or in advance? The law seems to be that it's collected on arrival. I assume that's so that you can look at the passport photo and see that it matches the guest standing in front of you.
We are on site. In truth, I ask for it in advance and don't check when they arrive. I suspect that I should but I don't know exactly what the law says in detail.

Jonathan
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

It is interesting to see comments so far, like most I was ignorant of the requirement but the legislation still seems to stand.
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We're in France and, for the most part, meet and greet the guest. I've never asked for passport information and never knew I was required to do so.

I wouldn't want to do it on arrival (if I met them) and if I did it in advance (via e-mail etc.) how would I know they weren't making it all up. Most people wouldn't, of course, but someone up to no good would almost certainly give false information.

I've said before on this matter that if it is a new/reinforced requirement in light of recent terrorist activity then I am stunned the local tourist authority who collect 'taxe de sejour' to fund their 'services' have never mentioned it to us. I suppose they are too busy telling us all how great they are and teaching grandmother's to suck eggs!

Whenever we stay in B&B, hotels, campsites etc. in France we only ever show one passport - usually my husband as the 'lead guest'.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Thanks ianh100 for raising this. I was unaware of these requirements. I've checked out the 1972 legislation. My interpretation is that, unless it has been amended or repealed, then it is still on the statute book and it applies to FHLs. I can find no evidence of amendment or repeal, although there have been past promises to do so.

I'm an offsite owner so I'll have to organise a way of collecting this 'alien' information remotely. The Act doesn't say you have to check passports etc., just that you have to collect the information for aliens over 16 years of age. So offsite owners should be able to comply.
The best things in life are free
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

It would be worth checking the situation with EASCO.
Something is rattling around in the back of my mind about this being one of the bits of surplus red tape that was generally ignored by the authorities and due for the Parliamentary shredder, but I could be completely wrong on that. Either way, I think the law currently stands.
kathiejs

Post by kathiejs »

I leave a form for them to fill in - the info as required in the regs, plus phone number in case they forget something (I let through Airbnb so actually I have a way to contact them anyway). The form explains the legal requirement to collect the info - so far they've filled it in.
Janev1000

Post by Janev1000 »

I do ask for it but I seem to be getting quite a lot of resistance to it from German guests who tell me they have never had to do this before when staying in the UK. Some say they'll send me the info later but never do, so I'll end up chasing for it. It seems a lot of work for something that is probably rarely every checked?
Annew

Post by Annew »

I've checked this out with a solicitor recently ... Hotels B&Bs are required to collect this info, but there appears to be no legal obligation for STHL operators to collect this info. This may change when the UK leaves the EU.

However, my insurers require me to collect all names and ages.... they have yet to ask for nationality and passport details.
If you want to find me, Google The Barton Poughill!
e-richard

Post by e-richard »

Annew wrote: there appears to be no legal obligation for STHL operators to collect this info. This may change when the UK leaves the EU.
Actually there may be no need to even wait till we leave the EU. In Portugal (among others) the National authorities already "require" this info from STHL. The UK can enact this whenever they want.

Its clearly the Hotel lobby scared of the apparent competition trying to level the playing field. If only they would realise that we're not in competition - our offerings are so vastly different.

(Unless you're with airbnb and selling nightly stays in your spare room !!)
** Richard
PIMS: Holiday Rental Management system
They say we learn from our mistakes. That makes me a genius !