White or coloured bedding

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
WILLIAMSYOUNG

White or coloured bedding

Post by WILLIAMSYOUNG »

Hello, I'm new to this forum as we're just starting out with our first holiday let. We have a 2 bedroom cottage - 1 double bed and one 3ft to 6ft twin. We're targeting mountain bikers and walkers due to location but want to position ourselves as the nicer option to the local bunkhouses etc.

My question is about the colour of bedding. Sorry if it's been asked before, but I've scoured the site and couldn't find anything.

So, the question is, should I go for all white linen or opt for darker colours? I've seen posts recommending patterned bedding to disguise creases (always a winner) but I'm concerned that it'll be hard to match and more expensive so am thinking maybe white from linensdirect and then bedspreads/blankets/cushions for colour.

Thanks in advance!
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

Personally I use white from Out of Eden with coloured accessories. It stands up to everything the guests and their dogs throw at it. Your house style might also dictate a choice if it's more of a cottage style, but with patterned bedding you have to throw the whole set away if just one piece gets ruined.

Good luck!
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

Nemo wrote: but with patterned bedding you have to throw the whole set away if just one piece gets ruined.

Good luck!
True... unless you buy something like Ikea bedding which is easily replaceable like for like. We use 2 types of Ikea bedding: the polycotton for our b&b quick changeover guests and one of their higher quality ranges for our week long, self catering guests. Both have stood up to a huge amount of wear and tear and they don't show any stains.

Ikea is not to everyone's taste, of course... especially if you're trying to create a more unique look, but I am sure there will be other suppliers who can provide the same choice and replacements, if you do prefer patterned bedding.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I use plain sheets and pillow cases. They have lasted well so far.
I have patterned but single coloured duvet covers.
I prefer cream to white in my cottage, as it is a warmer colour, so all the bedding including duvet covers are cream.
I do have contrasting colours on additional pillows and bed runners.

Whether white bedding would be a better option, depends upon your decor. However, I get the impression that most people on this forum swear by white, purchased from a supplier to the trade such as Out of Eden.
I wouldn’t ever go for dark colours as they would not necessarily appear clean, and even with care, the colours will be likely to fade with washing.

When I started I thought dark coloured towels were a good idea but my cleaner (who had to wash them) hated them as she had to be so careful not to accidentally put anything else in the wash with them. They had to be replaced.
loveka

Post by loveka »

I have white or pale grey bottom sheet and patterned Duvet covers from Out of Eden.

I disagree that you have to throw the whole lot out if one piece is ruined. As long as the colours go, I mix and match sometimes. So plain pillowcases and patterned duvet.

Out of Eden rocks, by the way! As does Soak and Sleep.