Air Con PAYG

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
joddle

Air Con PAYG

Post by joddle »

Has anyone experience of metered or "pay as you go" air con in a rental property. We are pretty sure if we simply install air con it will get abused and run up huge bills - we would like to keep the rental priced lower and then charge for usage of air con so each person pays for what they use. We know of two types of sytem - price by hour or priced by unit - we prefer the latter as it seems fairer but would welcome any news of your experiences.
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Not had the experience of pay as you go, but our method seems to work in 8 years of lettings. We say this in our welcome book:

"The cost of air conditioning is not included in our rental price. Please confirm if you require air conditioning and we will take the electric meter reading with you at the beginning and end of your stay. Normal electrical consumption without air conditioning is 100 units per week. Any consumption over this will cost 1€ per 10 units. As you might expect, you will avoid over consumption if you ensure doors and windows are closed when air conditioning is being used."

We put 100 units as our average consumption is around 85 units per week. In practice we always leave the A/C remote control available and no-one has actually asked about checking the meter reading. We always check the meter at changeover time and it has never been more than around 120 units per week so for such a small excess we have never charged. We assume the above clause in the welcome book focuses the mind of the guests to be careful.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
joddle

Post by joddle »

Many thanks for that - 1€ per 10 units seems about the right price for the power here in Spain as well but I have no idea if the AC usage would be the same for us - yours being about 45 units per week which is under 5€ per week! - how many AC units do you operate? and can anyone else on the forum confirm this usage as typical? Our propane gas central heating costs around 6-7€ per day to run so in comparison the AC seems very cheap!
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Hi Joddle, It is difficult to know the actual consumption of the a/c as it is a beach apartment and the guests are probably out most of the day and only need the a/c in the evening before going to bed. We have just one fairly powerful reversible unit sufficient for all the apartment as it is fairly open plan and leaving the bedroom doors open keeps them cool also. In addition there are fans in each room which help circulating the air.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
CSE

Post by CSE »

If you choose the price per unit. Consider that in Spain it is illegal to resell electricity.
The choice is yours obviously.

That issue aside think of all the hassle you may cause your guests trying to find coins to feed the meter. Hopefully you do not live on-site.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
joddle

Post by joddle »

casasantoestevo wrote:If you choose the price per unit. Consider that in Spain it is illegal to resell electricity.
The choice is yours obviously.

That issue aside think of all the hassle you may cause your guests trying to find coins to feed the meter. Hopefully you do not live on-site.
What exactly is meant by reselling electricity? - we would be simply passing on the costs of running the AC to the client so is that re-selling? - In the same way is including a charge in the rental fee for aircon also reselling? - Seems a very odd thing. I note that all the installers I have spoken to seem perfectly willing to put in a coin meter - could they do that if it was illegal?
CSE

Post by CSE »

You have not said what the meters count hours or units?
I cannot quickly find the law a link to the actual law about reselling but here is an example of just how (as you say stupid) it would appear shops cannot install charging points to recharge Eclectic cars. The law was change especially so recharging points can be installed.
http://www.lavanguardia.com/economia/20 ... ricos.html
There has been a discussion about the reselling of electricity it before on this forum. Also about air con usage.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Joddle, I'd run with the PAYG system if I had the choice again, just make sure your guests know up front to negate any fuss about coins, top up cards etc.
1. Your guests will only be paying for the air con they use/want/need.
2. Your wear & tear or mid summer callouts for repair/service will be greatly reduced as it's far less likely to be left running 24/7.
3. Less wastage means less cost & a lower environmental impact.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
joddle

Post by joddle »

COYS wrote:Joddle, I'd run with the PAYG system if I had the choice again, just make sure your guests know up front to negate any fuss about coins, top up cards etc.
1. Your guests will only be paying for the air con they use/want/need.
2. Your wear & tear or mid summer callouts for repair/service will be greatly reduced as it's far less likely to be left running 24/7.
3. Less wastage means less cost & a lower environmental impact.
I have to agree - I thought that paying as they go by unit would be the fairest way as that equates to the power they use - the meters are more expensive but then apparently I can set the rate to whatever I like but if it is near enough the cost to me I would be happy. If that is not legal in Spain then I can use a "pay by time" meter but that is not so fair on the guests.
gardenboy

Post by gardenboy »

I recharge electric in spain as there are 4 air con units and pool heating which guests may or may not use.

Since switching to effectively payg the volume consumption has halved.

It is not a stealth charge, it is clearly written on the website and every quote i make i write the rte as x gbp plus the utilities at metered cost. In 7 years no ome has ever queried it, if they did i would just add the max possible consumption.
joddle

Post by joddle »

gardenboy wrote:I recharge electric in spain as there are 4 air con units and pool heating which guests may or may not use.

Since switching to effectively payg the volume consumption has halved.
What sort of PAYG metering do you use? is it by time or units and if the latter what brand of kit did you use?