Cornwall water bill - how many occupants?

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Running Chrissy

Cornwall water bill - how many occupants?

Post by Running Chrissy »

Hi everyone
I've just registered us with South West Water as we completed on our new cottage two weeks ago.
They say they don't do metering in our area unfortunately so we are to tell them how many people live in the house.

Well no-one lives in the house, it's being renovated and then we will be letting it as a holiday let. Of course I will ask them for their policy but I wondered if anyone here already had experience of how to deal with this?

Thanks
Chrissy
Making a start in North Cornwall &#127754;
CSE

Post by CSE »

Every household has the right to request a meter. SWW should install one within three months and it should be free of charge, unless changes to your the are necessary. ie you are on shared supply.
However, and it looks like this is the case SWW can refuse if it is not practical or economical to install. How that is judged I do not know. That adjustment your bill to reflect the charges you would have paid if you had been on a meter.
It is noted hat if a supplier is unwilling to install a meter, you must be offered the choice to switch to an “assessed charge”. This is based on the average bills paid by customers who do have meters. I have read that companies have a single charge, others base the charge on the number of bedrooms or the number of occupants.
Is seems SWW goes for the latter.
I personally would ask for more details about the reasons why a meter cannot be installed. If you do not get satisfactory answers then you can take the problem to Offwat
http://www.ofwat.gov.uk/
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Running Chrissy

Thanks, yes I will ask. The bills are expensive although I do appreciate that the geography means they have a zillion miles of pipe to maintain for a spread out population.
Running Chrissy

I found out SWW operate a reduction scheme of 50% during renovation so have applied for that and been accepted. Also trying to get a meter - fingers crossed it can be done.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

I have a water meter and I read the water meter every week, well every changeover to be correct.

Last years data:

125 nights
57 adults
6 children
1 infant
10 dogs
45.14 cubic meters used costing £147.67
Average daily occupancy 2.2 persons per night
Average weekly occupancy 3.2 persons per week
Ignoring dogs and infants that's 0.36 cubic meters of water per adult per night.

However the most water is used when children especially infants are present.

It's a 2 bedroomed cottage, sleeps 4 with shower and a bath.

Does this help at all?

Feel free to pull apart my mathematics as I am terrible with numbers.
Running Chrissy

Update on this in case it helps others: we did get assessed for a meter but there was not enough accessible pipe outside for one to be fitted - boo.
However, the nice chap at SWW informed me that as we were getting plumbing work done, all our plumber had to do was to leave a foot of exposed pipe INSIDE the property, and we could fit a meter there - yay!
So we are currently paying the 50% but will be switching to a meter asap.
CSE

Post by CSE »

Great news. A little investigation and it is all sorted.
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Willoughby St Just

Post by Willoughby St Just »

Hi, did you manage to get a meter? I was offered one by SWW but didn't take it up. I think I should get one. I have a 3 bedroom cottage holiday let and am being given charged £84.99 per month for water. I've been empty most of the low season so this is assume would have cost alot less on a meter. I hope to get busier though!!
Running Chrissy

Hi
Not done it yet as we are still renovating but will def go for it. I would think it must be cheaper than the monthly rate even with guests. I guess you could do a rough estimate- or are there any online calculators I wonder.
Running Chrissy

Willoughby St Just

Post by Willoughby St Just »

Thank you!!