We have a plan......

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
French Cricket

Post by French Cricket »

The 'full facts' are different depending on whether you are currently resident in and exercising treaty rights in the EU - in which case you would form part of the protected group under the withdrawal agreement - or whether you want to move to the EU27 after Brexit (or after transition, depending on the agreement).

The latter will have no protection under the withdrawal agreement and will be treated the way, say, Australians or Canadians are now, as third country nationals. This comes under the EU acquis, specifically the directives relating to the long term residence directive and travel rights.

If anyone wants to know more about this you're welcome to check out the advocacy group British in Europe, in which I work and which is a stakeholder in the negotiations. Easily found via Google. We are working to protect the rights of those currently resident, but we're not involved with post-Brexit movers.

And that's me over and out - if anyone wants specific advice on their particular situation I'm very happy to help if you PM me or contact me via British in Europe, but I simply don't have time to get involved in a ping pong match here (nor is it really relevant to LMH).
COYS

Post by COYS »

Apologies OP for thread creep but I suppose it is relevant to your proposals. Still, I would go for it if only the premise of no regrets. We all get just the one shot at life so may as well make it count & I don’t think it is ‘foolish’ to pursue life goals, dreams or instincts. Get stuck in whilst you still can!

FC, I didn’t mean to imply that you personally were second guessing, more of a generalization that we ALL are at the moment, & nothing has been written in stone as yet. Depending on whichever side/party/spokesperson is applying the spin we are either heading into the abyss .... or not much will really change at all in a practical sense & I for one don’t have the patience to wait out what may never even happen.

It’s not often that casasantoestevo & I agree :wink: but it is very true that we travelled, lived & worked around the world long before the EU superstate & in reality will continue to do so. I’d share that analysis of the flaky decision makers & therein lies the biggest problem with the whole debacle.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
CSE

Post by CSE »

flaky decision makers and those who think they and write on forums or newspapers.
http://britishexpats.com/forum/take-out ... um-879308/
Maybe it is a case of in God we Trust...however even some would say when they did they voted for the wrong president.:roll:
Still it is not time to undertake a renovation project for a business. Jump right in if you are going to do it. :roll:
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
Jensen

Post by Jensen »

Please could somebody tell me why nearly every single person that want's to come to France think that they can make a living doing Bed & Breakfast or offering a gite/self catering accommodation??

I'm not saying you can't make a do of it if you a buy an already up and running business in a nice area with good accounts/goodwill.

But to buy a ruin to do up and put all the equipment in that paying guest's expect today to me is just crazy. Do your paperwork !