Key changeover - security boxes

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Iqishigh

Key changeover - security boxes

Post by Iqishigh »

Hi forum,

The two management agencies that we are considering offer key management and changeover. In both cases though they do this through installation of a security box outside the property with a digital code they provide to the guests.

When I heard this my I initial concern was around security. People breaking in the box, knowing there are keys to the property in there. People using th code or giving the code to others. Forgetting to return the keys etc.

Anyone use this facility and if so, am I being paranoid on this one?

Thanks forum,

Dave
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I use a keysafe and have had no issues at all so far. I expect it depends on your area though - our village is very safe and several trustworthy workmen and my cleaner have access to the keysafe so they can go in and do work etc when I'm not there.

If you are in a high crime area however perhaps it's not such a good idea. I know of owners who hide the keysafe so it's not obvious there is one and that also seems to work OK.
CarolineJ

Post by CarolineJ »

Our keysafe is not visible from the road, but then again we live in a very low crime area - for the last two years the key has been under a rock by the front door and tradesmen have been letting themselves in and out at will.
Faint heart never won fair holiday let...