Key changeover - security boxes

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Iqishigh

Key changeover - security boxes

Post by Iqishigh »

Hi forum,

The two management agencies that we are considering offer key management and changeover. In both cases though they do this through installation of a security box outside the property with a digital code they provide to the guests.

When I heard this my I initial concern was around security. People breaking in the box, knowing there are keys to the property in there. People using th code or giving the code to others. Forgetting to return the keys etc.

Anyone use this facility and if so, am I being paranoid on this one?

Thanks forum,

Dave
Marks

Post by Marks »

I have used a key safe for 18 years. Fitted out of sight. No issues. Change the code periodically. No-one has ever forgotten to return the keys. Keys only put in the safe the day guests arrive.
Last edited by Marks on Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

I have been using a key safe since starting 6 years ago..

Once a guest had difficulty putting the key back .. (can't imagine how this could happen).

Anyway I am very confident about it ..

Useful also if you want traders you trust to let themselves in..

I change the code occasionally.
Cymraes

Post by Cymraes »

I use a safe too. It's fitted out of sight of casual eyes.

In fact I have two safes - the second has a different code and we use it if we need tradesmen to have emergency access to the house so guests don't need to disrupt their holiday whilst we fix whatever is playing them up and in the event that guests themselves manage to lock themselves out!