What colour should I choose for new towels?

For topics that are specific to France, please go here.
ginelli

What colour should I choose for new towels?

Post by ginelli »

After many years of use, it is time to update my batch of white towels

What colour should I go for? Grey, brown, etc or stick with white?

And what shops in France do you recommend buying from?

Thank you!
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Circé

Post by Circé »

I'm not a fan of white towels. In all the houses we manage the white towels are the first to need replacing due to slow 'darkening' in the middle where they wear, and stains that really show.
Whatever colour you choose, I'd reccommend using John Lewis or anybody else based in the UK as their delivery to France isn't expensive and things arrive when they should.
If you really want to order in France use LaRedoute or 3 Suisses.
ginelli

Post by ginelli »

Good advice. Thanks
De l'audace, encore de l'audace, et toujours de l'audace (George-Jacques Danton)

www.hide-aways.com
Dusty

Post by Dusty »

Towels are a nightmare, they are the thing that we seem to get spoiled most of all, mostly by teenage girls and their acne cream.

If I had my way I would go for a murky grey colour but unfortunately I don't think they would look very client friendly :D .

With white you can always bleach them when they get stained and aggressive cleaning can bring them back sometimes, which is why most hotels tend to stick to white I think.

Good luck, when you find the right colour can you let the rest of us know please
KathyG

Post by KathyG »

I use navy blue and haven't had any problems at all in 12 years.
Kathy
Waterfront location in Le Faou
"My goal in life is to become as wonderful as my dog thinks I am."
GRL

Post by GRL »

I am happy with the dark green towels I bought from La Redoute
PW in Polemi

Post by PW in Polemi »

I think the colour depends on your clientele. For instance, acne cream apparently takes the colour out, so white towels wouldn’t show this as much as, say, blue of any shade.
I’ve found that the yellowing caused by various lotions (hand, body, sun etc) can be removed with a spray of my pink stuff (oven cleaner, so essentially a degreaser) and a hot wash.
As has already been said, white can be bleached clean and readily replaced to match, whereas colours fade with time so a matching set of bath and hand towels soon becomes problematic if one of the set needs to be replaced.
Dogs have masters. Cats have slaves!
Morristhedog

Post by Morristhedog »

The towels don't seem to have come off as badly as the sheets and pillow slips this year which turned up yellow after lettings. Maybe sun tan lotion? Always upsets clients when they have their deposit chopped, but the yellow does not come out.

For towels, yes I have had white, but I would chose a nice taupe in future.
A dreamer is one who can only find his way home by moonlight.
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

We're in the middle of changing over to taupe - it hides everything and not only was bleaching a faff, but the bleached towels now have holes in them... I reckon the bleaching must weaken the cotton. The oldest taupe ones are still looking better than the newest white ones.

I say 'in the middle' because being a b&b with a rapid turnover we have about 45-50 towels and we take advantage to Carrefour's 2 for 1 offers that appear every so often. They don't tend to stock that many towels in one go!!

The towels get washed very often - about 4 times a week during July/August and they hold up well... certainly as well as the ones we got from a hotel supplier when we first set up business. Perhaps if you've got a more up market place, they're not the towels for you, but for us, we find them very good and at 5€ a 70x140cm towel during the offer they don't break the bank.