Under bed storage? Yes or no?

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Aphra

Under bed storage? Yes or no?

Post by Aphra »

Hello all

We are setting up a 3 bedroom cottage in the north of Scotland for families and groups to visit. We'll have 2x 3' bunks in Bedroom 3, and ziplink twins/doubles in Bedrooms 1 and 2.

Can I keep my spare bedding in under bed storage drawers, or is that asking for trouble? We do have some storage, but not ample.

All thoughts and advice very much appreciated.

Aphra
Getting there....
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I found an ottoman type bed was best for underbed storage.
Fleur

Storage

Post by Fleur »

I wouldn't leave my spare bedding for people to help themselves. We bought a large metal trunk with a lock and store all spare bedding in there. Over winter when the house is not occupied it also serves to keep everything very dry and dust free.

I do however leave one set of single bedding in a drawer just in case little ones have an accident in the night.
Fleur
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

I don't have the room for a separate lockable cupboard or chest, hence the ottoman bed. No-one can really tell it it there, and everything underneath is either bagged or boxed. No-one has helped themselves without permission.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

We have spare towels and bedding stored in drawers under beds in one of our houses - like you, we're short of storage space. In over 13 years it hasn't been a problem. In fact, occaisionally it's been quite useful when the cleaners forgot to put enough towels out and we could tell guests where to find them.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Martha

Post by Martha »

We can swap three of our rooms between double and twins and I use IKEA boxes under the beds for the alternative duvets, very useful.
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
Aphra

Post by Aphra »

Thank you everyone! 😊

We've read everyone's posts and decided to get a pair of ziplink beds with under bed storage for the room where they won't be moved much and a pair with legs for the room where they'll be moved more.

Thank you all so much.
Getting there....
Fleur

Under bed storage

Post by Fleur »

In addition to my post above I 've remembered that we keep bedding for our clic clac sofa bed in the space under this sofa and as far as I am aware no one has found or tampered with that. So probably bedding kept under divan style beds will be fine.
Fleur