Waste disposal

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
kathiejs

Waste disposal

Post by kathiejs »

I need to sort out waste disposal arrangements for my FHL in Devon. The thing is, lettings are very sporadic, and as it's only couples the amount produced is quite small. A small carrier bag each stay is typical. What do other people do? How much is it? And can the recycling stuff still go in with my domestic recycling or does that have to go with the trade waste too (the bits that we don't directly recycle ourselves as compost/chicken bedding/seed trays/plant pots/firelighting material/jam jarms/wine bottles etc - so just drinks cans mostly!)
newtimber

Post by newtimber »

I've never found the waste produced, even by couples, to be small. As they don't want to transport half-used stuff back home, lots of it ends up in the bin. If however that's all that's produced, who's to know if you bung it in your own bin?
I'm sure that's better for the environment than having a dust cart coming specially to remove a carrier bag full or even your driving to the waste transfer centre!
Sapper

Post by Sapper »

We pay our local council Ryedale North Yorkshire £220 a year which takes all of our waste from the cottage . We just become part of the normal collection of wheeli bins
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We pay the council to collect ours as trade waste and they provide us with the required "waste transfer certificate". Any waste produced from a commercial business including a B&B or holiday rental is trade waste. You could be asked to provide a waste transfer certificate and if you can't could get a significant fine.

There was an article on this in the Telegraph recently https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... wrong-bin/
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

My local council want a minimum of £440 a year.

Local independent businesses are a tad cheaper but not by much.

I have purchased a Waste Carriers Licence: https://www.gov.uk/waste-carrier-or-broker-registration

first three years cost £154 then each three years after that it costs £105. Each registration is for a three year period.

This allows you to carry waste around in a vehicle. Then find a local small independent company that takes business waste. The same companies usually but always do skip hire too. Find out how much they charge for the transfer of business waste.

My local company charges me £1.20 per 10KG (up to each 10gk) plus VAT. They will give you a receipt and a waste transfer note. These must be kept for 6yrs.

I cheat a little, i remove uncooked food to compost and i remove bottles (Heavy items) and store offsite in wheelie bins until full and take it for processing 4 times a year.

To enter a commercial recycling centre you need a hard hat and a reflective tabard (£30).

Getting rid of waste cost me a total of £65.73 in 2017 for the whole year. The £65.73 includes one third of the purchase of my waste carriers licence.
COYS

Post by COYS »

Have you accounted for your time, fuel etc in that calculation A-X?
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
Nemo

Post by Nemo »

akwe-xavante wrote:Getting rid of waste cost me a total of £65.73 in 2017 for the whole year. The £65.73 includes one third of the purchase of my waste carriers licence.
Impressive! I've just worked out the cost for my new cottage will be approx £350 just to continue as I am with a waste collection fortnightly and a recycling collection fortnightly. Can guests manage with one wheelie bin collection a fortnight or am I being ridiculously optimistic? I am aren't I? :lol:
Sadly I can't get rid of it myself as an offsite owner.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

"Have you accounted for your time, fuel etc in that calculation A-X?"

Time involved is very little as i process the waste at the same time i do my own every week. 10mins

Fuel, i travel to and from my FHL anyway and the recycling company i use the most is no more than a 1/4 mile diversion. When i take my waste i take it on my journey to my FHL 1/2hr earlier.

So i'm fairly lucky i admit, but working a journey in to a commercial recycling centre can be done at any time to suit your routine.

Drop it in as you pass on your way to wherever one day.

i have three independant commercial recycling centres all within 8 miles or so of where i live in different directions so i think in advance about when i take my rubbish, to which one and on my way to somewhere else.

paying a lot of money for a fourtnightly collection wasn't working as bins were overflowing. They only took what was in the bins and left other bags on the floor!!!! after replacing the empty bins. I was going to need a second mortage to have my bins emptied weekly.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

Some local councils will collect trade waste - mine doesn't. I use a private contractor who collects only for those weeks when I have visitors. Excellent service.
The best things in life are free