Recycling bins

For topics that are specific to the UK and Ireland, please go here
LouLou

Recycling bins

Post by LouLou »

Hoping for some advice please. A recent guest commented in his review that it would be a good idea to have separate recycling bins inside the house (the local council issue recycling bins for outside), does anyone else have separate bins for inside as well? I don't want the kitchen to be overtaken by bins

:?
thanks
Blanche

Post by Blanche »

That's sheer laziness on their part. They are lucky to have recycling bins outside. Our guests have to go some distance to find the recycling bins in the commune.
La Maison du Curé
www.cormatin.eu
rosebud

Post by rosebud »

No room in my kitchen .. there is one in the garden.

Guests have never complained in 7 years
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

We have a dual bin ( land fill and recycling excluding glass) but guests have asked for a glass bin as well. The box for glass is 2m from the door!

We get some guests form countries that clearly have even more different bins for recycling of food waste and other things separately. I know some parts of the UK do that but our authority doesn't for commercial waste.
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

At home we have 3 bins in the kitchen - landfill, recycling & food waste (a small worktop caddy). At our Devon cottage we have the same. I suspect that if we didn't everything would go in together and there wouldn't be much recycling.

We use smallish bins so they don't take up too much space and have to be emptied regularly.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Nuthatch

Post by Nuthatch »

We try to be very eco, so we have 5 bins in the kitchen(!)
One is a triple bin, for glass/plastic and tins/paper and card, then there's a standard bin for general waste and we have a composting food bin under the sink. The triple bin is very neat - it's very similar to this:
https://www.kitchenmarket.co.uk/steelde ... gL7m_D_BwE
I'd say around 50% of guests sort their rubbish, another 40% do it rather haphazardly, and 10% just chuck everything in the nearest bin. And some of the food waste we see is absolutely appalling (sometimes the dog does rather well out of it . . . . . )
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

We have a 3 bin version of something like this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0761R3T43/ ... il_3?psc=1 fitted into a 300mm wide kitchen cupboard, plus a general waste bin in the under sink cupboard.
We then have our own rubbish and recycling bins in an outdoor area for guests to transfer from the small bins.
The irony is that the only company available to us for waste collection (bearing in mind that all waste from holiday lets is classed as commercial) doesn’t separate, so I stick the recycling in the car along with ours and take it to the nearest council collection point - which is technically illegal... :roll:
Marks

Post by Marks »

Why is recycling in the UK so complex? Here we have communal bins for:

Glass
Plastics & tins
Paper & cardboard
Everything else

My parents in the UK have 3 outside bins, an assortment of different coloured bags and boxes and a complex collection rota.

The thought of having a slop bucket in the kitchen turns my stomach.
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Marks wrote
The thought of having a slop bucket in the kitchen turns my stomach
I couldn’t agree more. That’s why we invested in a superior food recycler called a Labrador :D :D No need for any kitchen slop bucket.

Seriously, you are quite right, with only certain plastics recycled (causing great confusion) and every local authority having different contracts for what can be recycled.
Giraffe

Post by Giraffe »

If you don't have much room in your kitchen IKEA do some stacking bins that are great for recycling items.
The best things in life are free
Marks

Post by Marks »

zebedee wrote: I couldn’t agree more. That’s why we invested in a superior food recycler called a Labrador :D :D No need for any kitchen slop bucket.
:lol: :lol:
Some guests just need a sympathetic pat. On the head. With a hammer.
LouLou

Post by LouLou »

Thank you everyone for your comments xx
Jonathan

Post by Jonathan »

Marks wrote:Why is recycling in the UK so complex? Here we have communal bins for:

Glass
Plastics & tins
Paper & cardboard
Everything else

My parents in the UK have 3 outside bins, an assortment of different coloured bags and boxes and a complex collection rota.

The thought of having a slop bucket in the kitchen turns my stomach.
It depends where you live. All our recycling goes into one bin and the council sort, which is why they probably have one of the highest recycling rates in the country.

We provide rubbish and recycling bins in the lets. Occasionally someone asks if they can use our compost bins, which is great.

Jonathan