Lay My Hat home page Lay My Hat Forum
The forum for holiday rental owners

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    RegisterRegister  
  ProfileProfile    Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    Log inLog in 

Sykes misinformation

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike&Chrissy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 12:18 pm    Post subject: Sykes misinformation Reply with quote

We left Sykes in February but our Sykes listing still comers up on searches, with the cottage marked as’ no longer available.’ We’ve asked them to remove it but it still appears. We’ve had very few bookings this year.
Do you think people assume we’re not on the market any more? Has anyone else had this problem with Sykes?
AndrewH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sykes misinformation Reply with quote

Mike&Chrissy wrote:
We left Sykes in February but our Sykes listing still comers up on searches, with the cottage marked as’ no longer available.’ We’ve asked them to remove it but it still appears. We’ve had very few bookings this year.
Do you think people assume we’re not on the market any more? Has anyone else had this problem with Sykes?

I think that it is likely that your fears are correct. People don't know the ins and outs of these matter in the way that Hatters do and, if I read "no longer available" then, as a potential returnee, I would think "Oh shame, they have stopped renting out their holiday home".

From posts I have read from time to time on LMH, it appears that listing with Sykes can lead to unwanted problems of various kinds.
Cymraes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Sykes "cybersquat" your holiday cottage indefinitely.

I'm still on their site as not available despite having left years ago. The good news is that my own live listings and website now come well above Syke's link to my property on their site!
Joanna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were on their site for many years after we cancelled our listing. When I realised I asked them to take it down and they said they would but did nothing. Ironically they would occaisionally ring me to try and sell me a listing. Easch time I explained that we weren't interested and could they please remove our old listing. Eventually they did remove it, probably because the photo they had was very poor quality by today's standards.

I don't think it ever did us any harm - Sykes under priced the cottage so we put our prices up after we left and may well have been out of budget for any potential repeat bookers anyway.

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Cymraes

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come the 23rd I'm going to use my "right to be forgotten" to try and get Sykes to remove my defunct listing.....
sparkJS

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

25th!
Cymraes

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkJS wrote:
25th!

Thank you! 25th it is Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lay My Hat Forum Index -> Bookings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: