Robot pool cleaner

For anything to do with the garden and pool
farley

Robot pool cleaner

Post by farley »

Hi all
We are researching robot pool cleaners and wondered if any of you could recommend a particular type/brand. Or indeed any we should avoid?
Many thanks
oasiscouple

Post by oasiscouple »

Years ago I bought a Polaris for my 10m x 5m pool. Very expensive and needed its own pump. It took over 4 hours to clean the bottom and often got stuck in a corner so I had to keep an eye on it which partly canceled the benefit. While it is working you can't use the pool. After 2 years use, I gave up and preferred to clean the pool myself, on average half an hour twice a week. Cheaper, cleaner and less hassle.
Honi soit qui peu y boit
ED16

Post by ED16 »

A few of my clients have bought the Dolphin S200 or S300 over the last couple of years and are all very impressed.
One of the best features is the top-mounted filter basket which doesn't empty its contents back into the pool when you lift it out, unlike some other makes / models

Dolphin S-Series Robots

Prices are around €950 for the S200 and €1150 for the S300
bornintheuk

Post by bornintheuk »

oasiscouple wrote:Years ago I bought a Polaris for my 10m x 5m pool. Very expensive and needed its own pump. It took over 4 hours to clean the bottom and often got stuck in a corner so I had to keep an eye on it which partly canceled the benefit. While it is working you can't use the pool. After 2 years use, I gave up and preferred to clean the pool myself, on average half an hour twice a week. Cheaper, cleaner and less hassle.
+1
What would Plato do ?
farley

Post by farley »

Thanks for your responses .
We have a vinyl liner so another query is which robot is compatible and efficient?
We don’t want to make an expensive mistake ☹️
SW31

Post by SW31 »

We have one of the expensive dolphin robots and we are truly glad we bought it. Opening the pool up each year, there is a lot of dirt and dust even with a roller cover. We start off with the larger filter and then we put it in again with the finer filter. We keep emptying and cleaning the filters to get the best from it but it makes an enormous difference and takes pressure away from the sand filter. After that, the robot normally goes in once a week. You walk away and let it clean the floor, walls, waterline and steps.
teapot

Post by teapot »

Unless it is a huge pool it is cheaper and quicker to vac by hand. We tested this from start to finish (un-pack and clean up, put away) manual was min of 5 minutes quicker and no missed bits. Capital outlay and if you are unfortunate repairs to belts or motors better spent improving filtration and pump variable speed. That improves the water and saves a huge amount of electricity.

Sold my robot on, not needed any more.
Passivpool Energy "A" rated Swimming Pools, the most efficient, lowest running cost pools in the world
Circé

Post by Circé »

+ 1 Teapot!
COYS

Post by COYS »

Circé wrote:+ 1 Teapot!
+1 and I actually enjoy a bit of pool vac. By far one of the least irksome of tasks.
This time next year Rodney, we'll be millionaires.
farley

Post by farley »

Well thanks everyone for your input. I think we've gone full circle and decided not to buy the robot at the moment.
We have decided to change over from sand to glass filtration (having read other threads about it here).
This forum is a mine of knowledge long may it continue :D
Its good to get such a variety of opinions.
Thanks again