New Data Protection Regulations

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

newtimber wrote:
Joanna wrote:I found the definition (they don't make it easy do they?). There's a list of possible lawfull purposes and I think the ones that apply to us are mainly 'consent' and 'contract'.

This seems to have the pertinent info on it - check the 'More information' boxes to get the definitions.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/re ... checklist/
Unless you have asked them to give their consent and agreed to it, I don't think consent is right. I think in as far as responding on enquiries, it's legitimate interest, consent for the marketing and contract when they book??
My understanding is that Consent is relevant for mailshots etc, where the guest must actively opt in to give consent to their data being used for the purpose, and as you say it won’t be required to answer an enquiry or booking.
Dealing with bookings, and answering enquiries which may or may not lead to bookings, is covered by Contract.
I reckon that’s contained in this bit of the ICO description of Contract as a lawful basis:
you haven’t yet got a contract with the individual, but they have asked you to do something as a first step (eg provide a quote) and you need to process their personal data to do what they ask.
We need to “process their personal data” to answer their enquiry.
Jemima Copping

Post by Jemima Copping »

I myself was confused about this and got in touch with Promotemyplace, my webhosts.
They sent me a template and instructions on how to install. All very straighforward. So that is what I will do.
Surely asking advice from your webhost is the way to go?
Better to be mutton dressed as lamb than mutton dressed as mutton!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Jemima Copping wrote:I myself was confused about this and got in touch with Promotemyplace, my webhosts.
They sent me a template and instructions on how to install. All very straighforward. So that is what I will do.
Surely asking advice from your webhost is the way to go?
I doubt that most webhosts would provide a relevant Privacy Statement unless they were only involved in holiday letting by owners - are there many other than PMP?
Even providing a template that covers the possible variations depending on how the owner runs the business and stores the data is quite an achievement, so hats off to PMP for providing it.
CSE

Post by CSE »

greenbarn wrote:
I doubt that most webhosts would provide a relevant Privacy Statement unless they were only involved in holiday letting by owners - are there many other than PMP?
Even providing a template that covers the possible variations depending on how the owner runs the business and stores the data is quite an achievement, so hats off to PMP for providing it.
Our wrote to us with about how they treat the data they have on us.
It is in Spanish but what is incredible is just how long it is. A "few words" may not be sufficient.
https://dinahosting.com/legal/condicion ... rales-gpdr
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
SusanMay

Post by SusanMay »

Hi,

I'm being a bit lazy here as I'm sure I could find out if I looked hard but I was interested in the line about the legal requirement to keep data needed for tax/accounting/audit purposes for 6 years. Please can someone reply with what information we should be keeping for these legal reasons?

Thanks,
Susan
Joanna

Post by Joanna »

AIUI we need to keep enough information to prove our income and expenditure - could be receipts, invoices, booking forms. So if the HMRC decides to do an inspection and asks to see evidence of something we claimed for 5 years ago then we have it on file.

Having said that, I've been running our holiday cottage for 14 years and never had an inspection. I suspect we're too small to be worth the cost of sending out an inspector. But I'm still keeping records just in case.
Jo

Joint owner of Baker's Cottage in Chester & Chandler's Cottage in Sidmouth
Gettingthere

Post by Gettingthere »

In response to earlier comments about whether the ICO would bother inspecting little old us for data protection violation, you may be right that they’re unlikely to at random. However, if a disgruntled guest ( eg someone whose deposit you withheld, or you refused to give them a discount) decided to report us for potential data breach, they may decide to look a bit more closely. If nothing else maybe as a shot across the bows to our ‘industry’.

Meanwhile, HMRC might not have ever investigated you (me neither) but I understand they often do do random checks. And again there is always the possibility of a malicious guest wanting to stir the pot....

Gettingthere
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

Joanna wrote:I found the definition (they don't make it easy do they?). There's a list of possible lawfull purposes and I think the ones that apply to us are mainly 'consent' and 'contract'.

This seems to have the pertinent info on it - check the 'More information' boxes to get the definitions.

https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/re ... checklist/
I am trying to decide which 'lawful basis' to use. I don't use guests details for marketing purposes so consent does not apply. It seems to me that it could come under both 'contract' and 'legitimate interests'. I need the details to fulfil my obligations under my contract with my guests (eg to contact them about their booking) but also to protect my own legitimate interests to know who is staying in my rental and have redress if they damage it. Confused!
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I've been receiving a lot of e-mails from various sources about this and asking for consent, saying I need do nothing etc. Every single one has been different. Some have been a one-liner and others have been pages long with links to all sort of other pages.

I just can't imagine how millions and millions of small businesses run by individuals just trying to make a living are supposed to make sense of all this.
Jenster

Post by Jenster »

I am seeing it as a great opportunity to get rid of a lot of spam emails! As many of them require me to 'opt in' in order to continute to receive their emails. Very satisfying to just hit delete!
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

Jenster wrote:
I am trying to decide which 'lawful basis' to use. I don't use guests details for marketing purposes so consent does not apply. It seems to me that it could come under both 'contract' and 'legitimate interests'. I need the details to fulfil my obligations under my contract with my guests (eg to contact them about their booking) but also to protect my own legitimate interests to know who is staying in my rental and have redress if they damage it. Confused!
Good point. I see it like this:

Your processing/retention of the guest’s PII from enquiry to departure and follow-up email (assuming it’s not months later!) comes under the basis of Contract.
Your retention of their information for accounting/tax purposes for 6 years comes under Legal Obligation.
Your use of the information for marketing analysis etc comes under Legitimate Interest.

As you have the information you need for redress under the Contract basis, it’s simplest to stick with that; Legitimate Interest seems to be a kind of last resort if nothing else applies (such as marketing analysis).

One interesting thought - if a guest caused a lot of wilful damage and you didn’t want them back, would retaining that information indefinitely be defensible as a Legitimate Interest? Either way, I guess the only way they’d ever find out would be if they tried to book again and you gave the genuine reason for refusing; even then it would no doubt be because of your excellent memory rather than anything recorded anywhere...

AFAIK, GDPR doesn’t yet include the requirement for a memory wipe, but stay tuned...
CSE

Post by CSE »

A guide to setting up a system.
https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... tion-gdpr/
a short video-explanation. https://youtu.be/WPwG-MNMuBQ
An explanation for the under 5s which takes an hour!
https://youtu.be/nG9RJLhDTXc
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

Been thinking that i should have been doing something about this for the last few months and i haven't done a single thing about it yet.
I'll keep this initial post short and follow up with a longer one a little later as i intend to take most of this afternoon or maybe longer considering just what i need to do about this myself.
But to start, what data do i get, have and store and for how long etc.

I'm with an agent who collects data about the people that book my cottage.

My agent passes onto me data about those that book my cottage, name and full address inc email address and contact telephone numbers, number of guests and for how long etc etc.

I collect data about their access to the internet to protect myself from prosecution brought about by the guests possible illegal use of the service.

My agent has sent me an email detailing what they are doing and then offer advice about what i should be doing too.

I'll be reading through this, this aft and will no doubt share some of it here later today.
akwe-xavante

Post by akwe-xavante »

My agent has sent me this...

My Agent will Do....

We’ll explain to customers what we’ll do with the personal data we collect about them including who we will share it with.

We’ll have written agreements in place with our suppliers and partners where we share personal data with them.

We’ll inform customers if we intend to send them direct marketing and where necessary, we’ll gather their consent to do so.

We’ll be able to respond to customers looking to enforce their rights (to know what data is held or to request deletion for example) and to any enquires by the information commissioner.

My agent asks that I should....

Draft a Privacy Notice, or update one if I already have one, in the form required by the GDPR to explain to customers how I will deal with their data.

Ensure that customer data is used only for the purpose of providing a booking and that I should not send any of my own marketing to a customer directly unless I have either told them that I will do so in advance or have their consent to do so where necessary.

I must handle and store customer data securely and safely.

I must make sure that I am able to respond quickly to queries from customers relating to their data, such as requests to send them copies of it and or to delete it.

I must have a process to make sure that customer data is not kept for longer than is necessary.

To help they have offered a series of questions / answers to consider...

What is meant by “personal data”?

"Personal data" is the term used to refer to any data which could be used to identify a living individual. This will include obvious things like name, address, date of birth, email address and telephone number. For more information, please take a look at https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/personal-information/.

What is a “Privacy Notice”?

A privacy notice explains to people who you are, what you are going to do with their information and who you will share it with. The main point is to explain in clear terms to customers what information you hold on them, how and why you use it and who you share it with (if anyone). The comprehensive advice on the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website is a great reference point: https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... nd-control.

What should I do with the personal data of my guests?

The basic principles of GDPR require you to keep any personal data for no longer than is necessary for the purpose you obtained it for and disposing of it safely afterwards. Given accounting and auditing requirements around transactional data, there may well be a strong legitimate and legal basis to retain this data for a number of years. If this is the case, you must ensure the data is held securely. Again, we'd recommend consulting the ICO website https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/gu ... retention/ for more guidance.

I forward my guests details onto my keyholder / cleaner – Is this still OK?

Yes – we state in our policies that a customer can expect us to share data with accommodation and service providers to fulfil a booking contract. It would be worth checking with your keyholder / cleaner that they handle the data sensibly and dispose of when no longer needed.

Can I write a privacy notice but I don’t have my own website for my own cottage(s) – where should I put it so that guests can see it?

If you don’t have a website, we'd suggest adding it to the in house information pack, so that guests can see it alongside other holiday and service related information.

Why can’t you give owners a template to help us write a privacy notice?

Every accommodation owner is different and every owner will handle and use data in a variety of ways – whether a single property independent owner, or a multi-property letting business. It would be impossible for us to create a one size fits all solution to solve everyone's requirements.

I keep all my guests details on file and have done so for many years. I send them a Christmas card every year – Can I still do this?

As outlined above, ideally you should let your guests know about how you will use their data with a Privacy Notice. That said, we think that very few guests will object to receiving a Christmas card and there is probably little risk to doing this.

----------------------------------------------------

I'm guessing that the first thing to do is logically think about and write down a list of the information / data that we all collect. Break it down further and decide what you want to do with it and why and for how long it's needed and declare when it will be deleted. Declare who it is shared with.

Some of us inc myself will be surprised about just what we do know about our guests. Some of this info may be deletable right away, some of it may have to stored for a week or two, a year or six years and so on. I'm guessing that their is no strict predefined period of time that data can / must be stored for as far as the guests are concerned. But there may be mandatory time periods for us to store data re accounting and HMRC law. If you use an accountant, a cleaner, a keyholder, a nieghbour to help you then you have to declare what information is given to these people, why and how long that info is kept by those people.

I'm guessing that it is upto us / you to decide what data is kept and how long it is kept for and justify why and ensure it is deleted when it is not required anymore
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

I have just been drafting out my privacy policy with the help of all the above comments (thank you wry much to all ) and the PMP template Privacy Policy.

Interestingly, the PMP template includes a section on the use of Cookies to collect statistics about the web pages visited and states that none of the cookies used jeopardises privacy in any way, and no personal data is collected.

I thought this might be a helpful point for others, who have completed the work, and those, like me, who have taken this timescale to the wire. :D :D