Keyless door entry system

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Casa Montana

Keyless door entry system

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all,

I have a holiday rental in Spain. Looking to install a keyless entry door system. This would save the expense of my house manager meeting and greeting guests etc....

Anyone got any recommendations for such a system that you can install yourself??

The door currently has a sort of Yale double lock on it. So I would like to install this in addition to the Yale lock. The door is an old huge door so not modern.

Any tips greatly received.

Cheers

Carl
Casa Montana
Martha

Post by Martha »

Can you use a key safe anywhere instead? I always think these things sound very prone to go wrong at the worst possible moment...
Chalet la Foret, Chamonix
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

We've used keysafes at various properties and had to use them when we've used holiday properties ourselves.

They can usually be located somewhere discreet if required.
zebedee

Post by zebedee »

Hi Carl
We have a Yale system at home, together with a mortice Lock. This is safer than a key only system as you are not vulnerable if thieves steal keys. It works very well and we have considered a keyless entry system at the cottage.

You could use the mortice lock as well only when the property is vacant for a week or two as additional security (insurance companies like the two systems). Guests would just use the keyless system.

Keyless would be particularly good if you are near an area prone to bag snatching. There is the possibility that guests will have the entry instructions written down in their bag, but hopefully they won’t carry the address written down as well!
joddle

Post by joddle »

GillianF wrote:We've used keysafes at various properties and had to use them when we've used holiday properties ourselves.

They can usually be located somewhere discreet if required.
+1 We have used a keysafe for 10 years or so now - works a treat :)
I don't profess to own anything here apart from my own opinion.
greenbarn

Post by greenbarn »

I have the Codelocks 5020 electronic codelocks on our 3 cottages which can be deadlocked, are fully compliant with fire regs for escape, insurance approved and are very easy to program - I ask guests to choose their own easy to remember code and program it in advance of their arrival.
Being on site makes the programming simple, but I believe they now have a remotely programmable lock; alternatively there are probably other suppliers offering the same level of security and fire safety.
Worth a look, not cheap but one of the best investments I made!
tchn

Post by tchn »

I've been looking at these to use for our place. For those worried about system failure, you can always have a key safe with the over-ride key in as back up. I'm off-site so was keen to use a wifi based system, which of course risks faster battery failure. Instead the best I've seen so far was one which uses time based access codes (like some of the remote banking devices). I think the codelocks netcode system does this (http://www.codelocks.co.uk/netcode-opti ... ddons.html), but there are others like this (who also do a wifi version) https://www.smartlock.co.uk/pages/resortlock1 . Am interested to here if anyone has had any problems with any of these systems.
Casa Montana

Post by Casa Montana »

Hi all, thanks for all the replies.

Definitely thinking of keeping the mortice lock wen the property is not occupied.

The system that Greenbarn has suggested looks excellent. Just need to work out if I can install that system on to this old antique old door whilst leaving the current mortice lock in place.

Thanks

Carl

zebedee wrote:Hi Carl
We have a Yale system at home, together with a mortice Lock. This is safer than a key only system as you are not vulnerable if thieves steal keys. It works very well and we have considered a keyless entry system at the cottage.

You could use the mortice lock as well only when the property is vacant for a week or two as additional security (insurance companies like the two systems). Guests would just use the keyless system.

Keyless would be particularly good if you are near an area prone to bag snatching. There is the possibility that guests will have the entry instructions written down in their bag, but hopefully they won’t carry the address written down as well!
Casa Montana

Post by Casa Montana »

Thanks Greenbarn, this looks like an excellent solution.

My area is generally safe so no problem with handbags being snatched etc.... Just trying to avoid the need for a meet and greet and also take out the possibility of keys being copied etc....

Cheers

Carl

greenbarn wrote:I have the Codelocks 5020 electronic codelocks on our 3 cottages which can be deadlocked, are fully compliant with fire regs for escape, insurance approved and are very easy to program - I ask guests to choose their own easy to remember code and program it in advance of their arrival.
Being on site makes the programming simple, but I believe they now have a remotely programmable lock; alternatively there are probably other suppliers offering the same level of security and fire safety.
Worth a look, not cheap but one of the best investments I made!
wozzaturner

Post by wozzaturner »

We use Lockstate wi-fi enabled smart locks on our cottage and have both their LS-5i and LS-6 locks on the front and back doors of our holiday cottage. They are fabulous and we have had no problems with them in nearly 2 years of regular use.

You do need a good wifi connection for them to connect to, but once this is sorted each guest (or cleaner, handyman etc) have their unique individual access codes. These are easily set on the online portal and can be created, updated and deleted easily. Guest codes are date/ time limited. We always set our guest codes to expire on their check out day, for example.

They are also great as we can see online when guests have checked in (we are at a distance to our cottage). The system is set to automatically email us the first time a guest inputs their PIN to access to cottage. We can then give them a call a few minutes later on the cottage phone to welcome them.

The system works well for us. We got ours from the Lockstate official UK supplier - www.smartlock.co.uk and would highly recommend.
tchn

Post by tchn »

Wozzaturner,
how frequently do you have to change the batteries? thanks for your other comments.
wozzaturner

Post by wozzaturner »

tchn wrote:Wozzaturner,
how frequently do you have to change the batteries? thanks for your other comments.
We change them about once every 6 months - with a good wifi signal they seem to last much better than I expected. The online portal also shows the level of charge remaining in the batteries for each lock - this is a good guide and we always replace them before they get too low. Alkaline or Lithium batteries only recommended.
tchn

Post by tchn »

Thanks.
Marylin

Post by Marylin »

For me, I use Igloohome smart mortise locks for all my rental properties. I chose this brand because it does not require WiFi to work, as my properties are in rather remote places.

Despite this I'm still able to create PINs for my guests remotely through my smartphone via the igloohome app, which will be a unique temporary code for each guest. I set it to expire when they leave. So i no longer have to come down for key exchanges.
If you're an Airbnb host, it can even sync up with your calendar to create PINs for your guest automatically, this is a feature that i live by.

This product is pretty similar to the lockstate 6i but in my opinion, better because it works offline, is cheaper and it has a better design.