B.Com price comparison

OTA = Online Travel Agency, which means those sites that sell the booking and take the payment for you.
Frenchlady

B.Com price comparison

Post by Frenchlady »

Against all my better judgement and because of lack of enquiries I have just gone with B.com. Because of the 15 percent commission charge I put up my room rate. I have just noticed that they offer a price comparison and it is in their terms and conditions that you cannot offer a lower price anywhere else on line. Our room rate on our website and all other advertising is 62 euros. To cover the commisiion with them I increased to 70 euros. I cannot drop, after commission to 52 euros and still give my guests the generous breakfast we give our guests. I cannot increase our rates generally as it would just make us too expensive. So, will be coming off.
jafa

Post by jafa »

They cannot do anything against you if you offer different options. For example on B.com, room only is x price and breakfast is y extra. On your own site offer the same price as B.com, but breakfast is included. So technically no inclusive breakfast price is offered on your b.com site.
That's what Ive been told when Ive stayed in B & Bs who we have done through B.com. Its caused no end of "discussions" with my wife when I find out on paying the bill.
Jafa
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

that term is illegal in France...I have our website price 5 euros cheaper than on bdotcom where I pay commission & 5 euros more expensive than on air where guest pays up to 12% commission...many French guests phone to ask for a good price between those 2 rates which just happens to be that on my website so they book direct
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

petitbois wrote:that term is illegal in France...
I do believe, but I wouldn't swear to it, that a term like that would be ruled out in the UK as well, as being 'in restraint of trade'.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

petitbois wrote:that term is illegal in France...
I do believe, but I wouldn't swear to it, that a term like that would be ruled out in the UK as well, as being 'in restraint of trade'.
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Just make sure you don't offer exactly the same. They keep messaging me that I should offer 2 night stays so I have but at the price of 3 nights on other sites. We don't offer 2 nights anywhere else so you can't compare. I am sure it is not enforceable.

What you MUST watch is double booking, if you take an instant booking on B.com and can't provide it for any reason they will host the guest elsewhere and YOU have to pay any additional costs.
Mouse

Post by Mouse »

ianh100 wrote:... if you take an instant booking on B.com and can't provide it for any reason they will host the guest elsewhere and YOU have to pay any additional costs.
Out of interest, if you haven't any 'money in the booking dot com bank' how do they get it off you?

Interestingly I was talking to someone who is trying to sell their place. They've deliberately gone on booking dot com so that if they sold before summer bookings they can cancel the weeks bookings they have. They're working on the basis that they'd not have to pay anything as they themselves wouldn't be paid.

Mouse
x
ianh100

Post by ianh100 »

Hi Mouse

B.com tend to let you take the full booking cost directly from the guest, they then send an invoice for the commission. In our case they sent an invoice for an extra £200 for having to re book guests that we would not take (long story).

We only list dates in the near future as it is not a model that suits us. It is possible to set a variety of options that allow guests to cancel, we operate on the strictest setting. Perhaps if you accept more in cancellations you are able to cancel more yourself. I would advise anyone to read the small print.
CSE

Post by CSE »

If it is a model that does not suit you then why carry listing with them? :?
Never try to out-stubborn your guests.