Help - So Many Flies!

Agencies and other headaches, keys and cleaners, running costs and contracts...in short, all the things we spend so much of our time doing behind the scenes.<br>
Emmy

Post by Emmy »

Hello... We're in the South Charente - this might be useful. Our local Bricomarche sells a small blue plastic "thing" - like a 4" x 3" grill - which is meant to deter flies for 3 months. I'm sorry, I can't remember the name. you just place it in the room - ours are on top of wardrobes or beams. When we first arrived here we were plagued by flies and everyone said it was "just normal" - but I hated it and couldn't expect guests to put up with that. Since we put a box/grill in each room we've barely had any, and it's so long ago now I can't remember what they're called. They come in a little cardboard box, you get 2 in the pack and I think were roughly €12.
farley

Post by farley »

Thanks for everyone's input.
The Nurelle looks interesting but I hate the idea of killing all insects . How often do you have to use it Olive Grove?
The Olive Grove

Post by The Olive Grove »

farley wrote:Thanks for everyone's input.
The Nurelle looks interesting but I hate the idea of killing all insects . How often do you have to use it Olive Grove?
We have only just started using it. I will have a look on the bottle to see if there are any recommendations.
Sophie Annabelle

Plagued by tiny flies

Post by Sophie Annabelle »

We have just arrived at our house in the Ste Maxime/Frejus area (France) and have been plagued by hundreds and hundreds of tiny tiny flies, like midges. Our last lot of renters complained about them too. At first my husband thought it was black fly all over the plants and shrubs, but they are everywhere - getting in our food and drinks. If anything is left out, within a few minutes it is covered in them. My granddaughter's hair was thick with them after playing in the pool. Has anyone had this problem and do you know what they are and what causes them. We have never experienced this before and I'm wondering if it is due to the weeks and weeks of hot dry weather? Sorry to hijack the thread.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
Tournesol

Help - so many flies!

Post by Tournesol »

Sophie Annabelle, are those what we know as "thunderflies"? Usually abundant after some days of hot weather and when the air feels "thick", they usually herald summer storms and disappear when the air clears.

We haven't had as many flies here this year, thank goodness.
You should try living with someone who is such a passionate animal lover he won't even kill flies! He catches them in a plastic box and puts them outside... he doesn't extend the same courtesy to mozzies though!
What you've never had you never miss!
Sophie Annabelle

Post by Sophie Annabelle »

Thanks Tournesol. The day after I posted, the flies completely disappeared. My husband went up to see our French neighbour and he seemed to think the problem was caused by rotting fruit in unemptied dustbin bags left by renters at the house on the hill above him. He said they have a life cycle of five days and then they die, which is what happened! We can venture out again now.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room!
Lets Go To Puglia

Post by Lets Go To Puglia »

I used to use Red top flycatchers. They do work very well. However a jar with holes in the lid, a little jam, honey mixed with a little water works equally as well. Costs very little and does not smell!
Ciao, Debbie

Puglia Holiday Villas Facebook Page
---------------------
It's not the things you did you look back on and regret it's the things you didn't do!
farley

Post by farley »

That's sounds good Debbie but does it attract other insects like wasps and hornets?
farley

Post by farley »

Hi all
Just wondering if anyone has any new ideas regarding fly control?
The recent wet humid weather has initiated a big increase in fly population here.
Did the Nurelle product work for you on your terrace last season Olive Grove?
As always, thanks in advance, for your valued input.