guest asking for discount after booking

From the moment they step through the door your bookings become guests, and their experiences determine whether they ever come back.
pachypach

guest asking for discount after booking

Post by pachypach »

We have guests who are coming in our gite in 2 weeks.
They booked 3 months ago, and at the time I gave them a small 5% discount.
They have now said instead of 5, there will be 4 people coming, and is there any chance of having a reduction...
Our gite sleeps up to 8, and prices are competitive.
I am not prepared to offer any money off.
How to I word this (nicely!) to them?
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

I presume they have paid in full by now.

In which case, I would just write back and say/remind them that you had agreed, at the time of booking, a 5% discount. I would point out you are sure your prices are competitive and that you are sorry but you cannot now offer them any further discount.
pachypach

Post by pachypach »

Thanks, will do something along those lines :-)
aussiefrog

Post by aussiefrog »

You could also add that the price is for the whole property, not per person.
petitbois

Post by petitbois »

maybe give a more generous welcome pack
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

aussiefrog wrote:You could also add that the price is for the whole property, not per person.
Exactly what I would say. And as others have mentioned, remind them that they have already been given the 5% discount.
Fleur
Ecosse

Post by Ecosse »

"Thank you for your enquiry, yes we can offer a further 5% discount. We can, however, only offer you 95% of the roof. I don't think it's due to rain too much that week so you may be okay. Kind regards, etc..."

Seriously, I have nothing to add to the advice already given, other than to perhaps point out that with one less person, they will find your gîte even more comfortable than they would have as a group of 5.
Fleur

Post by Fleur »

I wouldn't give a more generous welcome pack. Guests probably will just think that's the norm.
Fleur
GillianF

Post by GillianF »

Oh, how often I have wanted to reply along the lines of Ecosse's suggestions ……………….

And, no I wouldn't give them anything more in terms of welcome pack etc.

They have had a discount and it is down to them that one of their party has dropped out. I imagine it means four people are now sharing the cost of the one who dropped out and they are hoping to offset that by getting another discount. But, it's between them to sort it out and not pass it on to the owner.

They booked the property not individual beds.
pachypach

Post by pachypach »

Love your answer ecosse ;-)
Our welcome pack is generous anyway...
I have ended up sending this;
Regarding the cost of the holiday, I am sorry we won’t be able to offer you a further discount (the price had already been discounted by £58 when you originally booked).
The prices advertised are per gite, sleeping up to 8 (and not dependant on the number of people staying).
We aim to be competitive on price, (our prices haven’t increased for 3 years), and I am sure once you are here, you will see how our gite compares very favourably with others.
linda que linda

Post by linda que linda »

Excellent suggestions; excellent reply.