Log cabins and planning permission

If you are planning to buy a rental home, or you're thinking about what to do with one you have just acquired, this is the place for any questions about starting out in the rentals business.
Tommytink

Log cabins and planning permission

Post by Tommytink »

So I it looks like I will finally be moving to Wales and I there are two static caravans on the property. They are dated and although they could be patched up I'd really like to replace them with a log cabin ( something different, especially as there are a lot of caravan parks already in the area).

Does anyone know a good place to buy log cabins? Or the build yourself kits? I've done some research but there are a lot of sites and it's hard to tell what's suitable and what's not. It's something I'd want to let year-round (unlike a caravan) so it needs to be quite sturdy and insulated. Nothing too big, length is not an issue but width would be to a point so one, maybe two, bedrooms, kitchen/living area and bathroom is all I need.

The people I've asked got theirs a few years back and I can't trace the sellers now. Norwegian or eastern European kits seem popular? Just wondering if anyone could suggest anything it would be greatly appreciated.

Also does anyone know if you should require any sort of permission to replace like-for-like (if I got upgraded caravans) or with a similar structure? I've asked the council who say I'd need to complete a pre-application advice enquiry form. Apparently there is a fee but they don't know what it is until I send it back. Then I have to ask them to contact me and tell me what the fee is! Seems a bit backward, requesting something without knowing how much it costs...

Anyway! Any responses welcome :)
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I think you will find planning consent is required, replacing static caravans or not. You must at least find out, even if it costs an unknown sum.
AndrewH

Post by AndrewH »

I think you will find planning consent is required, replacing static caravans or not. You must at least find out, even if it costs an unknown sum.
Tommytink

Post by Tommytink »

Yeah I understand that there are fees for everything these days, but I only asked whether you have to apply for permission. They should be able to give me a simple yes or no without charging for it!
Drax

Post by Drax »

I think you will find that you will have to apply to your local council to ascertain whether you need planning permission. My local council charges £25.00 for this service. They will then inform you whether you require planning permission or not.
If planning permission is needed the council will inform you what the fee is.
Keep your powder dry.
Hells Bells

Post by Hells Bells »

Just pick up the phone and ring the planning department for your area, they're usually very helpful.